Add Recovery Boot Menu Option Causes Very Slow Boot!

Author
Nik
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm new to this Forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.  I opened a Ticket with Macrium Support as follows:
I have the Family 4 User License for Reflect V6.1 Home. This is installed on 4 newer laptops all running Windows 10 x64 with UEFI/GPT. 3 of these laptops have SSD's. Before I added the Recovery Boot Menu option they would boot up to the login in 30 seconds.  After adding the Recovery Boot Menu Option (WinPE 10 - all necessary drivers were found), now it takes almost 2 minutes to show the screen to choose Windows or Macrium.  In the Knowledge Base I read the section on Fix Boot problems for GPT/UEFI Boot Systems, but it doesn't state whether it fixes this particular problem. I'm hesitant to try this and don't want to cause additional problems. I would appreciate any additional help/info to point me in the right direction.
Their response was:
Sorry to hear that you are suffering from slow performance issues. The only advice i can offer is that you remove all non essential drives such as External hard drives during boot.The recovery boot menu is only a convenience feature if you are having trouble with it you can always disable it.
Okay, when I boot these laptops I never have an external USB Drive attached so that is not the problem.  I know this is a convenience feature, but is very nice to have if Windows is corrupt and the Drive is not completely gone. It usually boots faster than Rescue media on external Drive or DVD.  I can't be the only one having this problem on a UEFI/GPT setup.  This never happened on the older BIOS/MBR setup. I would appreciate any help/Info.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
The laptops certainly shouldn't take 2 minutes merely to display the available boot options unless there's some boot configuration issue in the first location that is specified in their boot order settings.
I suppose the obvious question would be whether the slow startup problem remains when the Macrium Reflect recovery option is not present in the system boot configuration data (BCD) menu.
Have you tried removing that option temporarily?

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 19 February 2016 6:40 PM by Arvy
Nik
Nik
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
I did remove the Recovery Boot Menu option and the boot time goes back to the normal 30 seconds. I've noticed on older BIOS/MBR setups it used to take space away from the C: partition to create the small FAT32 partition for this option. When looking at my newer UEFI/GPT setups it looks like its adding the FAT32 partition to the beginning of the Drive.  All other partitions are NTFS.  Any ideas?
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
That would be a System Reserved partition.  Recommended partitioning details are provided in two Microsoft TechNet articles for BIOS/MFT boot drives and UEFI/GPT boot drives.
In either case, the system needs to find the boot manager (either bootmgr or bootmgr.efi) and its boot configuration data (BCD) store in order to display any boot menu options for selection.
Your system UEFI configuration is responsible for telling it where to look, in what order, and if compatible with both types of booting, which one has priority.  In some cases, it may also have
a setting to enable/disable the so-called "safe boot" feature.  Windows 10 also has its own "fast startup" feature (actually it uses a type of "hibernation") that can occasionally be problematic
when system set-ups are changed, especially for laptops.  This TenForums article explains how to turn it off and on again which may be worth trying.

There's no harm in trying the "Fix Windows Boot Problems" utility option that is available in the Reflect WinPE rescue environment as explained in this KB article.  It's basically the equivalent
of Windows own repair tools.  If you decide to do that, just be sure to follow the instructions for the type of booting (BIOS/MBR or UEFI/GPT) that is used by the computer being repaired.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 19 February 2016 9:46 PM by Arvy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search