"Operation Cancelled" at end of 5 hour restore

Author
stwert
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I was running a file/folder restore to an external drive for offsite backup, and it ran for well over five hours. The last time I checked it, it said 98% complete (I think) with 40min remaining. It must have really slowed down at the end. A while later (I'm not sure how long), something pulled window focus while I was typing, but it went away before I could see it.
Point 1: Please never let your application pull focus from whatever the user is doing. If it's an important dialog that immediately receives a random button-press, it's infuriating and who knows what the consequences might be.

In any case, I don't know if it was the "Restore completed" dialog or something else, but the next time I checked, it showed this:

Operation Cancelled. Cancelled why or how? When? How far did the restore get?
I checked the logs in the main application, but it doesn't say anything more than this.
Point 2) Please put some more information in the log, especially for when errors occur. Even the timestamp of the error would be something!

I checked the Windows Event Viewer. There is one even perhaps at the correct time
Date:    2022-05-20 4:53:21 PM
Type:    Error
Event:    78
Source:    SideBySide

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zoom\bin\Zoom.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.19041.1110_none_a8625c1886757984.manifest. Component 2: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.19041.1110_none_60b5254171f9507e.manifest.

This seems to be about Zoom, perhaps it could be related, but I suspect not.
I can check the "Restore Files" tab to see what it restored, but I get a list of up to 550,574 files. No summary or file count, or total size of restored data.
Point 3) Beyond a certain size, this tab is useless, and very annoying when clicked on (intentionally or not) and I have to wait for half a million file paths to load before I can leave the tab.

My main question (aside from needing the above points to be addressed) is whether there is any means to determine if some files were not copied, and which ones (in less time than re-restoring the whole backup).

Edit: There is one more piece of information. In the Filter tab, the "Completion Message" says "Failed to open log file to get completion message" - I don't know what that means.

Edited 21 May 2022 12:53 AM by stwert
stwert
stwert
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Can someone please help explain this? Another restore cancelled. What is canceling these operations?
What are the category of things that could cancel a restore, aside from literally pushing the "cancel" button?

Lee
Lee
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (229 reputation)Macrium Representative (229 reputation)Macrium Representative (229 reputation)Macrium Representative (229 reputation)Macrium Representative (229 reputation)Macrium Representative (229 reputation)Macrium Representative (229 reputation)Macrium Representative (229 reputation)Macrium Representative (229 reputation)Macrium Representative (229 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi @stwert,

Thanks for posting,

Please can you submit a ticket on https://help.macrium.com/ and reference this forum post so that we may investigate.

Thanks,

Kind Regards

Lee

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

stwert
stwert
Ticket submitted (#209627).
I was able to restore the backups finally, but it would be great to know why this has been happening so that I can avoid it in the future.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search