Importing definition files from old PC to new PC

Author
Looraz
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My old PC is running Macrium v7 and I have the definition .xml files and the .sch schedule files.
MY new PC is running Macrium v8.

However, after I tried importing the .xml file, it says "Disk 'xxxxxx', partition 1 not found." Which I think is because the disk ID has changed as it is a new PC.
Clicking on 'edit' to attempt editing the definition file seems to be a fresh edit, there are no retention of past settings.

I am unable to import the .sch files in the "Scheduled Backups" tab too.

May I know what is the best way to import definition+schedule files to a new copy of Macrium in a new PC?
capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
You might try copying the definition files from the old PC to a flash drive and then using the "Add" feature in Macrium on the new PC to move them.  The XML files are stored by default in C\Users\Users Name\ Documents\Reflect.

Once the files are copied to the flash drive, insert that drive into the new PC.  Then open Macrium and click on "Definition Files".  Use the "Add" button to locate the files on the flash drive to copy them to the new PC.

I don't believe schedules can be imported.  You may have to recreate them.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1889
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.10

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Version 8 does allow importing and exporting of Schedules, however I doubt it is backwards compatible.  So, you probably can't import Schedules from V7 into V8.  It's not something I thought of during beta testing to try and see.  I don't know that for sure, though.

capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
@dbminter  I'm curious how importing schedules in V8 takes place.  Is the schedule somehow associated with its definition file and the two are imported together or is it a 2-step process importing each individually?  Does using WTS as opposed to MTS make any difference?

Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
I am guessing it's a two step process and each process is independent.  I don't remember precisely, but I think the last time I did this, I just imported all of my XML's first and then all of my Schedule .SCH files after that.  I never tried importing the Schedules without the XML files already imported first to see if there's any kind of dependency checking.

Edited 11 April 2022 4:16 PM by dbminter
capair45
capair45
Master
dbminter - 11 April 2022 4:16 PM
I am guessing it's a two step process and each process is independent.  I don't remember precisely, but I think the last time I did this, I just imported all of my XML's first and then all of my Schedule .SCH files after that.  I never tried importing the Schedules without the XML files already imported first to see if there's any kind of dependency checking.

Where are the .SCH files stored?

Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
They're stored wherever you export the Schedules to.  Should have prefaced my previous statements by saying I exported my Schedules first to .SCH files in v8 after creating the schedules and them imported the exported .SCH files I exported after the beta test was over.  After updating my v7 installation in my live system to v8.

capair45
capair45
Master
I'll do a bit of testing with this and return with any questions.  Appreciate your help!

Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender

Beardy
Beardy
Expert
Expert (813 reputation)Expert (813 reputation)Expert (813 reputation)Expert (813 reputation)Expert (813 reputation)Expert (813 reputation)Expert (813 reputation)Expert (813 reputation)Expert (813 reputation)Expert (813 reputation)
I can't test this with v8 since I'm still on 7 exclusively, but, I think it ought to work even if it's a bit of a dance.

On the old machine, switch from using the Macrium scheduler to the Windows one.
Other tasks > Edit defaults, click the Shedule icon at the top. Pick Windows in the dropdown.
That will export them from the Macrium scheduler to the windows one.
Open the Windows task sheduler, export the tasks from the Windows scheduler (they export as .xml files).
The export option is in the right hand pane when you have a task selected
Import them on the new machine. Again the function in the right hand pane of WTS.
Switch back to the Macrium scheduler.

With Windows scheduler interpreting everything, it shouldn't make any difference what the Macrium versions are.
Looraz
Looraz
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Thanks @dbminter for highlighting the potential backwards incompatibility issue.
Perhaps this is the reason why it doesn't work when I tried importing the .xml and .sch files from v7 to v8.

@Beardy oh, using Windows Task Scheduler instead to export & import..great idea to try, although it is a bit troublesome. I will try it later this week when I can access my old PC again haha. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search