Error booting from cloned disk

Author
andhof
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just cloned the original disk 1TB ASUS VC60 and changed to a new one and I get error booting from the clone:
Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired
The application or operating system couldn’t be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc0000225
I should point out that I am not that skilled and I tried to read up on this error but coudn't get my head around all the different anwers and suggestions.
It seems that you need to do changes in BIOS and re-install Windows etc is that really true? then you loose the advantages with a clone?
/Anders

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
There should be no need to alter system BIOS/UEFI settings if the clone source drive has actually been removed from your computer and replaced by the clone target drive using the same internal connections as the original.  If it has, you may need to reboot your machine to the Reflect rescue media and run the "Fix Windows Boot Problems" option there. (See this KB article for details.)

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 4 February 2016 3:15 PM by Arvy
andhof
andhof
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Arvy - 4 February 2016 3:11 PM
Has the clone source drive has actually been removed from your computer and replaced by the clone target drive using the same internal connections as the original?  If so, you may need to reboot your machine to the Reflect rescue media and run the "Fix Windows Boot Problems" option there. (See this KB article for details.)

Yes it has, I thought that's way to do it. Thanks for your comments I will check the article mentioned and see if I can fix it.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
That should work, but if it doesn't, please let us know.  It's possible that there was some problem with the cloning operation that will need to be corrected and we can advise on that.  In no case should it be necessary to re-install the operating system.

andhof
andhof
Arvy - 4 February 2016 3:24 PM
That should work, but if it doesn't, please let us know.  It's possible that there was some problem with the cloning operation that will need to be corrected and we can advise on that.  In no case should it be necessary to re-install the operating system.

I have made a recovery usb but when I checked the restore menu there is no alternative "Fix windows boot problems". I have the Home version.
Can I check the cloned disc connected externally via USB or do I have to install it in the PC?

Richard V.
Richard V.

Microsoft Windows* won't allow you to boot to it that way as a full (non-PE) operating system, which is one reason why I asked whether the clone target drive had been installed replacing the original in your computer using the same internal connections.  If not, you'll need to do that first and it may not then be necessary to do anything else.  If you do need to run Reflect's "Fix Windows Boot Problems" utility option, it should be found as shown in the above-linked KB article when booted to your Reflect WinPE rescue media environment.
__
* Excepting its recent "Windows-to-Go" Enterprise edition

Edited 4 February 2016 5:53 PM by Arvy
andhof
andhof
I managed to boot from the Reflect WinPE and ran through the fix boot errors procedure however at re-boot another error message occured 0xc0000001.
What to do?

rgds
Anders

Edited 7 February 2016 7:11 PM by andhof
Richard V.
Richard V.
But you still haven't confirmed that the clone target drive is now installed in place of the original using the same internal connections.  Is it?

The start-up error 0xC0000001 doesn't usually appear without also showing additional information which is most often one or more of the following:
  • The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.
  • The application or operating system could not be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
  • One way or another you are going to need to get that clone to be accessible as a totally complete and exact duplicate of the original, and that includes its availability to your system's UEFI configuration and boot order.

Edited 7 February 2016 9:39 PM by Arvy
    andhof
    andhof
    The clone drive is installed in exchange for the original one (only room for one hard drive in this Asus table top).
    In regards to additional info nothing of your suggestions above only to use original Windows boot media.
    When I retried I got 8-10 suggestions to run with extended logging , disconnect network etc but nothing happened when I tested these alternatives the same info as above occured.
    Rgds
    Anders
    Richard V.
    Richard V.
    The error code 0xc0000001 can indicate any of several system start-up issues and isn't sufficient by itself to allow a more precise diagnosis without access to the machine and all of the supplementary information that it provides in exact detail.  The Reflect "Fix Windows Boot Problems" utility should correct most such problems IF the clone target drive was properly installed when you ran that Reflect rescue media option.  If not, I can only suggest re-installing the original drive and repeating the cloning operation.  Be sure to clone the entire drive (ALL partitions) and then swap the clone for the original before doing anything else.  Or, if you prefer, you can try some other online suggestions such as these or these.

Edited 8 February 2016 10:31 AM by Arvy
    andhof
    andhof
    Hi,
    I have repeated the cloning procedure 2-3 times with the same result.I will go through your other suggestion and get back.
    In regards to installation of the clone and running of Reflect rescue media option I don't see that as a problem in itself, it seem quite straight forward or am I missing something here?
    Rgds
    Anders

Richard V.
    Richard V.

If the source drive is working okay, then a clone, as the name implies, should work exactly the same if attached to the same internal connections.  And yes, it's quite straightforward in most cases.  As long as you're sure that you cloned the entire drive (all partitions) I can't think of anything else that you might have missed.  It's not impossible that the target drive itself might be faulty and/or there could be an external I/O problem, but one would expect that to become apparent during the cloning operation.

Edited 8 February 2016 10:45 AM by Arvy
    andhof
    andhof
    That was my assumption too. However I am aware that it is not always so straight foreward with computers.
    The cloned disc is completely new and I didn't see any errors during the cloning process.
    What you are saying is that something went wrong during the cloning process,  which is your software?
    Can I provide more information to help you out with some alternative suggestions?.

Rgds

Anders

Richard V.
    Richard V.
    Macrium Reflect v6.1.1023 is my current software and I've been using Reflect since v4.x without any similar problem.  I seem to recall needing to run its "Fix Windows Boot Problems" utility once, but it was quite a long while ago during some "get acquainted" testing and I can no longer remember the details.  At this point, I'm really not sure what other information I could ask you to provide about that 0xc0000001 start-up error.  As you can see from those linked discussion threads, the basic WinRE repair options usually correct that type of problem.  You might want to check your system UEFI set-up just to ensure that it lists the clone properly in its boot order when installed, but you shouldn't usually need to change it if its on the same internal connections.  If it wasn't seeing the drive at all, you'd be getting a different start-up error.

Edited 8 February 2016 11:31 AM by Arvy
    andhof
    andhof
    After additional tries with other recovery tools I am still not able to get the cloned disc to boot. With MS recovery kit I now got an error message stating that the unit with Windows OS on is locked! How could this happen?
    Anyone got a tip on how to proceed?
    /Anders

Richard V.
    Richard V.
    If it's not a bad target drive, or a bad source drive, or a bad transfer connection, and if you've already tried both CHKDSK /R and "Fix Windows Boot Problems" without success, I can think of no other logical explanation for a straightforward drive cloning and swap operation to involve the series of complications that you've described.  The only other suggestion I can offer at this point would be to open a direct support request ticket with Macrium.  Maybe they can help you to sort it out.

Seekforever
    Seekforever
    Expert
    Expert (879 reputation)Expert (879 reputation)Expert (879 reputation)Expert (879 reputation)Expert (879 reputation)Expert (879 reputation)Expert (879 reputation)Expert (879 reputation)Expert (879 reputation)Expert (879 reputation)
    Group: Awaiting Activation
    After a miserable experience cloning with a different product (not Macrium) I don't even bother with the clone function on any product anymore. My preferred route in changing to a new disk is to image and this also gives me a "backup" as well.

Make an image to an external drive and then restore it to the new drive mounted in the PC. You can change partition sizes if you wish.
    Edited 14 February 2016 2:50 PM by Seekforever
    GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
    Search