starting and stopping a non macrium, vss-dependend service prior to a macrium backup

starting and stopping a non macrium, vss-dependend service prior to a...
Author
q9q
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I am using two VSS-dependend backup programs one of which is Macrium. The other one is Allsync (not Allway Sync mind you), and it runs a service.

I have both Macrium and Allsync set to be scheduled in a way that they do not usually conflict. But when they do run at the same time, it causes VSS issues.
I would like to solve part of the problem by automatically disabling the AllSync service before Macrium is running, and re-enable it when Macrium is done.
Note that shutting down / enabling the service takes a few seconds (like 2 seconds I guess).

I do know that in order to stop the service, this command works: net stop AllSyncService4

But on top of that I am not sure how to get that done - would somebody be as kind as to help?

(I would probably prefer it to work only for some of my definition files, not all of them, so no global solution, though some users might also be interested in that.)

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Right-click a definition file, select "Generate a PowerShell script", and in the wizard that appears, click into the Run Programs section.  Enable the start and end application options.  In both cases, the application will be "net".  The parameters for the "start" command will be "stop AllSyncService4", and the "end" parameters will be "start AllSyncService4".  Click OK to generate your script file, which you will find under the Scripts tab.  Now right-click that and create any desired schedules there, and remove any schedules associated directly with the source definition file.

q9q
q9q
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Thank you very much, JP.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search