One script not sending notification email, the other does

Author
chief
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On one computer I recently installed Reflect v6 Workstation on, one backup script sends the notification email, but the other doesn't. I checked and rechecked the send email address on that one, and I checked the .xml and it looks correct also. The log says that it sent the email. Is this a known thing that can happen? Do I have to recreate the script or is there something I can do to fix this? I have both success and failure emails enabled and set to send to the same email address.

Thanks

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Do both set-ups use the same connection type and credentials on the same SMTP server?  Were both tested successfully when the Email Server Settings were established under Reflect Defaults?

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 20 January 2016 1:38 AM by Arvy
chief
chief
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Hi Arvy,
Yes, this is two backups on the same machine - one is the OS and the other is a data drive. The settings work - the test email works in Defaults and my drive D backup email sends correctly. The OS backup runs fine and the log says it sent the notification email, but I don't receive it.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
My apologies for not getting the circumstances straight in my initial response.  In that case, the XML task description (<email> ... </email> settings) would have to be the primary suspect even if it looks okay.at a glance.  You can either recreate it from scratch or you can edit and resave the existing XML file by right-clicking it and selecting Edit within the Reflect user interface.
http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/e4da54be-7017-4720-aae0-cde6.png

Edited 20 January 2016 2:03 AM by Arvy
chief
chief
Hi Arvy,
Here's that section of the xml, if you care to peruse it (I changed the email username to "name"). If you don't see anything wrong, I'll just recreate the script. Thanks for the replies!

<!-- settings for email generation on backups -->
        <email>
            <!-- settings for successful backups -->
            <success>
                <!-- enable notifications for successful backup, Y = Yes, N = No -->
                <enabled>Y</enabled>
                <!--  attach log file, Y = Yes, N = No -->
                <attach_log>Y</attach_log>
                <!--  attach VSS log file, Y = Yes, N = No -->
                <attach_vss_log>Y</attach_vss_log>
                <!-- recipients list, separate each recipient with a semi-colon (Wink -->
                <recipients>name@comcast.net</recipients>
                <!-- subject, plain text only -->
                <subject>PACS C to NAS Backup Success</subject>
                <!-- body, plain text only, use \n for a newline -->
                <body/>
            </success>
            <!-- settings for failed backups -->
            <failure>
                <!-- enable notifications for failed backup, Y = Yes, N = No -->
                <enabled>Y</enabled>
                <!--  attach log file, Y = Yes, N = No -->
                <attach_log>Y</attach_log>
                <!--  attach VSS log file, Y = Yes, N = No -->
                <attach_vss_log>Y</attach_vss_log>
                <!-- recipients list, separate each recipient with a semi-colon (Wink -->
                <recipients>name@comcast.net</recipients>
                <!-- subject, plain text only -->
                <subject>PACS C to NAS Backup Failed</subject>
                <!-- body, plain text only, use \n for a newline -->
                <body/>
            </failure>
        </email>

Richard V.
Richard V.
The only thing that I notice at a glance is that neither success nor failure include any message body.  What appears as <body/> would normally be something like <body>Message here for a successful backup</body> and some servers could reject an email message without any body text.  There may be something else, but it's late here and I'm afraid my eyes are growing weary.  Probably easier to examine and edit it if needed within Reflect's own user interface anyhow.

Edited 20 January 2016 3:08 AM by Arvy
chief
chief
Thanks for looking. I didn't include a body on the notifications of any of my installs, because I couldn't add anything that the subject line didn't already say (it would be nice if Macrium added the option to add statistics to the body), and I haven't had a problem with any other notifications on the other 8 computers I currently have Reflect installed on. I will try adding text to the body and see if it helps.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Since the Reflect log is telling you that it has been sent, you might also want to check the sender's mailbox for "bounces" or rejection messages from the email delivery system.

chief
chief
Thanks for the idea. I created an email address just for this client's backup notifications, and I send from this email user to itself. It received no emails other than the ones from the other backup scripts. After they close tonite I'll try adding text to the email body, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll re-create the backup script.

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
FYI... some email services inhibit msgs to the sender from the sender, GMAIL, for example.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search