How to select multiple folders to backup in File and Folder Backup?

Author
M MacKenrick
Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On my computer I have Reflect 8 and choosing multiple folders to back up in a File and Folder backup is easy.  On my wife's computer, running Reflect 7, I can't figure out how to add multiple folders to the backup list.  The only way I can see is to go into the Add tab, go through the entire tree to find one Folder, and add it.  Then you have to go through that whole process again to select the second Folder and add it.  I need to add seven folders, some of them like Thunderbird, are buried way down through the AddData line.  Is there some way of selecting all the Folders I want without having to go back through the long process for each Folder?  I tried the normal method of holding the shift or Ctrl key while selecting and that didn't work.  I have searched the manual as well as online without finding an answer.   Thank you for the help.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
You're not missing anything.  V8 overhauled the File & Folder interface to make it much easier to define your source folder selections.  With V7, you do indeed have to select each "top-level" folder that you want to include in your backup as a separate entity, and each of those top-level selections can have its own set of include/exclude settings.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
The v8 F&F interface for selecting files was radically overhauled vs. v7.  So, what is available in v8 is most likely not available in v7.  It's been almost a year since I last used v7, so I've pretty much forgotten its interface by now.  So, in v7 it probably is only available as the lengthy process you described.

M MacKenrick
M MacKenrick
Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)
Thank you for the quick answers.  I thought I may be missing the correct way of selecting multiple Folders and Files.  The method in Reflect 7 is very slow but at least you only have to do it the one time for that backup set.  I'm sure glad they got that changed in Reflect 8.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
Yes, I was initially resistant to the changes in the F&F interface while beta testing v8.  However, once I started using them and got used to the changes, they were definitely for the better.  v8's F&F interface is a vast improvement.

hurricane51
hurricane51
Talented Member
Talented Member (103 reputation)Talented Member (103 reputation)Talented Member (103 reputation)Talented Member (103 reputation)Talented Member (103 reputation)Talented Member (103 reputation)Talented Member (103 reputation)Talented Member (103 reputation)Talented Member (103 reputation)Talented Member (103 reputation)
I have a similar problem, but I'm already using ver 8. I have a selected list of various folders with different paths. I can't see a way to simply paste the paths into the folders to be included. It seems the only way to do this is to navigate the tree and select them individually. A better way is referred to into 8, but I must be missing something.
JK
JK
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)
@hurricane51  I have no experience with V7, but I know that in V8, you do use a tree view folder picker to select the folders that you want to backup up.  There is no way to paste a list of source folders (you can't even paste such a list into the XML file, because each folder is in a separate entry).

I think the main improvement may be that you can use the same folder tree view to select all of your folders (you do not have to open a new tree view for each separate folder -- this will save a lot of time if the folders you want to back up are located on nearby "branches" of the tree).

Edited 7 June 2022 12:47 PM by JK
TAKCS
TAKCS
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Why couldn't you just paste another entry into your XML file?  Look for the <folder_filter id="1"> and </folder_filter> lines.  Duplicate everything in between and change the folder "FileSource" entry as needed to reflect (excuse the pun) the additional folder(s) wanted.  Multiple added entries for multiple folder locations.  Just change the id= number.  Admittedly I know nothing about the XML file structure in v7.  But, if it is like v8, shouldn't it work?

Edited 25 July 2022 10:41 PM by TAKCS
JK
JK
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)
@TAKCS  If your response is to my previous post, I never claimed that you can't modify the XML file to add multiple folders, only that you can't cause multiple folders to be selected by simply pasting a "list of folders" into the XML.  My post was in response to the previous post by @hurricane51, who explicitly asked about the ability to "simply paste the paths".  Your method would produce the correct end result, but it is not applicable to hurricane's question.

I also don't think that your method would be any more convenient than just using the graphical folder picker in the wizard; thus, manually editing the XML it wouldn't solve the the problem describe by @M MacKenrick in the OP.

Perhaps someone who enjoys coding could program a small utility that would present a graphical folder picker with multi-selection capabilities (and/or the ability to paste lists of folder paths), and then translate those selections into a Reflect-formatted XML file. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search