Scheduled backup prompt appears and then appears again 30 minutes later

Author
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Had odd behavior with my scheduled backup for Thursday.  Today, at its scheduled time, the dialog window came up saying the backup was about to execute.  I thought it then started because it disappeared, but, at the same time, I was scrolling through windows in Firefox, so I wasn't paying attention.  I went away to eat breakfast and came back to the PC, resuming work.  At 10:15 AM, 30 minutes after the scheduled start for the backup, the prompt to run the backup appeared again.

I cancelled the backup, thinking the 9:45 AM one had run.  But, when I checked the Logs, it had not, in fact, run at 9:45.  And because I cancelled it at 10:15, it hadn't run at all.  I checked the schedules for Thursday's backup and there was only one set: the one for 9:45 AM.  There were also no set schedules for any backup to run on any day at 10:15 AM.

One possible explanation is I may have, somehow, set the delay running of the backup to 30 minutes later in the countdown dialog.  I think there's a delay for 15 minutes option, so there may be a 30 minute as well.  I may have, while scrolling through the web pages, accidentally somehow selected a 30 minute delay in the countdown dialog.  It makes some sense as the delay was 30 minutes after the previous prompt.

The above explanation also makes some sense because I believe I've done this before while scrolling through Firefox pages when the countdown window opens.

Anyway, I thought I'd report this.  I'll keep an eye on tomorrow's backup, if I can remember, and make sure it actually runs on time.  And hopefully I can remember to monitor next Thursday's scheduled backup and check on it running on time.

Thanks!

Edited 20 January 2022 4:30 PM by dbminter
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
I do believe what happened yesterday was as I eventually described it.  That my scrolling through Firefox web pages with the mouse scroll wheel caused the backup to be delayed by 30 minutes.

This morning when the Friday backup prompt occurred at 9:45, I checked that there was a 30 minute delay option, which there was.  I then selected Do Not Postpone with the mouse and used the scroll wheel on the mouse to see if 30 minutes could have been selected.  It is possible to select the 30 minute delay with the scroll wheel if you've clicked on Do Not Postpone.

Friday's backup is currently running, so I am going to guess that what I initially described as what happened did.

JK
JK
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
The ol' PEBKAC error ;-)

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Actually, I'd never heard of that term before.  Smile  Had to look it up.  I've actually used User Error many times before.  LOL  Even during the beta testing of v8.  I reported what I thought was an issue, but it turned out to be user error.  Back at my last job, we had to write up error logs whenever something happened.  A software self cancellation or a hardware failure.  One time I had to shamefully admit to an Operator Error.  Wink

Also, as I said before, I think this happened to me one other time and I had concluded it was because the prompt window popped up while I was attempting to click on and scroll through web pages in my browser.

Edited 21 January 2022 4:17 PM by dbminter
L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
dbminter - 21 January 2022 4:11 PM
Actually, I'd never heard of that term before.  Smile  Had to look it up.  I've actually used User Error many times before.  LOL  Even during the beta testing of v8.  I reported what I thought was an issue, but it turned out to be user error.  Back at my last job, we had to write up error logs whenever something happened.  A software self cancellation or a hardware failure.  One time I had to shamefully admit to an Operator Error.  Wink

Also, as I said before, I think this happened to me one other time and I had concluded it was because the prompt window popped up while I was attempting to click on and scroll through web pages in my browser.

Years ago, I noted that an aircraft accident report by the NTSB attributed the crash to "cockpit error".  I've reused that many times in the intervening years, sometimes to classify mistakes by others, but also to point to mistakes made by me. (I'm "winning"!). 

L W "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS 
MR v8.0.6786+    Win10.21H2-19044.1889+    Win11.21H2-22000.856+

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
LOL!  I love that one!  How can the cockpit even make an error?  It's an inanimate object.  Smile  Unless the original reporter meant the cockpit as a general term for those operating inside the cockpit.  It's still poorly worded, though.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search