Computer is not waked from S3 sleep

Author
Patrick O'Keefe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

L. W. "Dan" Danz - 19 January 2022 3:14 PM
It's quite possible that you and I have different cases.  My failure is not because it goes back to sleep, but a network error which I believe is the Connected Standby code shutting it down.   The job runs long enough to connect to the target folder share on another system, backup two small partitions (EFI and MSR), create VSS snapshots for both C; and D: (a small data partition) and then is able to report the error to the log file, and close both logs.
Interesting.  Is this a Windows-to-Windows backup such that Connected Standby is shutting down the destination system?   When a backup is running on my computers the "powercfg -requests" shows
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\ReflectBin.exe

AWAYMODE:

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

which prevents sleep during the backup, but that, of course, would not keep the remote Windows awake if I were backing up to another Windows system.

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Patrick O'Keefe - 19 January 2022 5:52 PM

L. W. "Dan" Danz - 19 January 2022 3:14 PM
It's quite possible that you and I have different cases.  My failure is not because it goes back to sleep, but a network error which I believe is the Connected Standby code shutting it down.   The job runs long enough to connect to the target folder share on another system, backup two small partitions (EFI and MSR), create VSS snapshots for both C; and D: (a small data partition) and then is able to report the error to the log file, and close both logs.
Interesting.  Is this a Windows-to-Windows backup such that Connected Standby is shutting down the destination system?   When a backup is running on my computers the "powercfg -requests" shows
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:

AWAYMODE:

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

which prevents sleep during the backup, but that, of course, would not keep the remote Windows awake if I were backing up to another Windows system.

No, the target system is not going offline.   Only the source system, and of 4 systems this one is the only one that consistently goes offline in the middle of a backup.
Edited to correct spell checker that changed Only to offline.

L W "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS 
MR v8.0.6786+    Win10.21H2-19044.1889+    Win11.21H2-22000.856+

Edited 19 January 2022 6:15 PM by L. W. "Dan" Danz
Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)Advanced Member (590 reputation)
L. W. "Dan" Danz - 19 January 2022 6:14 PM
No, the target system is not going offline.   Only the source system, and of 4 systems this one is the only one that consistently goes offline in the middle of a backup.
Anything in the Windows Event log indicating a problem?  I've seen Event Id 6062 -"Lso was triggered" cause a network failure during a Reflect backup.
(Sorry to hijack JK's thread.)

JK
JK
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
I'm gonna high-jack it right back!

I confirmed that when a scheduled incremental backup was running, I get similar results to powercfg -requests as those posted by @pokeefe:

> powercfg -requests

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflectbin.exe

AWAYMODE:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflectbin.exe

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

So, does this mean that I don't have to worry about the System unattended sleep timeout setting (i.e., as long as the scheduled backup starts before the timeout, it will not be interrupted by an Event 42)?

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Advanced Member
JK - 19 January 2022 8:37 PM
So, does this mean that I don't have to worry about the System unattended sleep timeout setting (i.e., as long as the scheduled backup starts before the timeout, it will not be interrupted by an Event 42)?

I thought so, but I just found something on the web here that makes me question that. It says

SYSTEM power request type (PowerRequestSystemRequired)
This request prevents the computer from automatically entering sleep mode after a period of user inactivity.
This request type is not honored on systems capable of connected standby. Applications should use PowerRequestExecutionRequired requests instead.
You said the Modern Standby is not an issue here so I think that means Connected Standby is also not an issue, but I could be wrong.  Perhaps  Reflect should also enable PowerRequestExecutionRequired to cover that case.  I have no idea what other implications PowerRequestExecutionRequired has.

JK
JK
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
Good find!

Perhaps Reflect should also enable PowerRequestExecutionRequired to cover that case.

+1

JK
JK
Master
I'm starting to think that the System unattended sleep timeout setting may be a red herring (not actually used by my OS), or perhaps its configured value is more of a "suggestion" than a firm setting.  Although my timeout setting has always been 2 min, in the past two days, the computer remained awake for 8 min (after the end of the scheduled backup) yesterday, and 1 hour this morning.

JK
JK
Master
Just updating to consolidate possibly relevant information found elsewhere...

I thought so, but I just found something on the web here that makes me question that. It says

A recently resurfaced thread from 2017 indicates that running backups do prevent the system from entering Sleep or Hibernation states. A post by Nick in that thread explains that a Registry key must be defined to enable sleep or hibernation during an active backup operation.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search