How properly create a template for backups

Author
johnbor
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ok so I want ot make sure I get this correct.
I want to creat a template so that my computer gets backed up every friday at 9pm
I would like it to keep 2 full copies of backups and possibly 2 additional ones for differential backups and purge any more than that.
what is the procedure for that ?

and is Incremental better than Differential?
Tags
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
You don't have to use a pre-defined template, and none of the pre-defined templates would match what you're trying to achieve anyway.  That's perfectly fine, though.  The templates are just possibly convenient starting points.  You can build your own schedule and retention policy if you prefer.  That's what I did.  In terms of how to do that, you say you want backups every Friday at 9 PM, but you also say you want both Full and either Differential or Incremental backups.  So how often do you specifically want a FULL backup to be created?  On the FIRST Friday of every month, with all other Friday backups resulting in Diff or Inc backups?  Or do you want a Full every other Friday and then a Diff/Inc backup in between?  And then if you want help setting this up, saying you "possibly" want two additional backups doesn't really work.  You have to make a firm decision as to what you want, at least as a starting point, before you can tell Reflect what you want it to do.

Edited 12 January 2022 2:38 AM by jphughan
JK
JK
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
My suggestion, based on @johnbor's description of what he had in mind, would be to do monthly Full backups at 9:00pm on the first Friday of each month, with weekly Differential Backups (at 9:00pm every Friday; note that these will be superseded by the Full backup on the first Friday of each month).  Set the retention policy to keep 2 Backups of the Fulls and 2 Backups of the Differentials. I would suggest not enabling either of the two "purge" options (purging before backup or purging when destination capacity is low), unless you think you may run out of space on your storage media.

The easiest way to set this up may be to start with the Differential Backup Set plan, but edit the schedule settings for the Differential backups so that they occur weekly rather than daily. 

Here is the User Guide section that describes the configuration procedure:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW80/Scheduling+backups

Edit: Deleted an errant word ("first"), and edited first sentence to be more clear.

Edited 12 January 2022 2:15 PM by JK
capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
...and is Incremental better than Differential...

I don't think one is better that the other (I only do Full images no incrementals or differentials).  They each provide a different method of recording changes.

A Differential Includes all changes since the last full. This causes each differential to grow in size over time. To restore this backup, Reflect only needs the parent full and the latest (or an interim) child differential. A differential is always dependent on its associated full. If the full is deleted or corrupted, the differential is useless.

An Incremental Includes all changes since the last backup (this may be a full or differential). All incrementals in the backup set must be present in order to restore the computer to the most current state possible. Incremental backups will be smaller and completed quicker especially if they’re created often. To restore an image from an incremental, you would choose an incremental in the chain and Reflect would restore the computer to that point in time. An incremental made after a differential will depend on that differential.

The incremental file itself will be relatively small but when mounting the incremental for viewing, you will see the contents of the entire backup set (at that point in time), not just the incremental.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1889
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.10

Edited 12 January 2022 11:41 AM by capair45
capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
JK - 12 January 2022 3:10 AM
My suggestion, based on @johnbor's description of what he had in mind, would be to do monthly Full backups at 9:00pm every first Friday of the month, with weekly Differential Backups (also at 9:00pm every first Friday of the month; note that these will be superseded by the Full backup on the first Friday of each month).  Set the retention policy to keep 2 Backups of the Fulls and 2 Backups of the Differentials. I would suggest not enabling either of the two "purge" options (purging before backup or purging when destination capacity is low), unless you think you may run out of space on your storage media.

The easiest way to set this up may be to start with the Differential Backup Set plan, but edit the schedule settings for the Differential backups so that they occur weekly rather than daily. 

Here is the User Guide section that describes the configuration procedure:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW80/Scheduling+backups

...with weekly Differential Backups (also at 9:00pm every first Friday of the month...

I'll be the first to admit that my understanding of incremental and differential scheduling is limited but I'm having trouble understanding this.  Should it read, "with weekly Differential Backups (also at 9:00pm every Friday of the month" eliminating the word "first".

Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender

johnbor
johnbor
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
capair45 - 12 January 2022 11:09 AM

I don't think one is better that the other (I only do Full images no incrementals or differentials).  They each provide a different method of recording changes.

A Differential Includes all changes since the last full. This causes each differential to grow in size over time. To restore this backup, Reflect only needs the parent full and the latest (or an interim) child differential. A differential is always dependent on its associated full. If the full is deleted or corrupted, the differential is useless.

An Incremental Includes all changes since the last backup (this may be a full or differential). All incrementals in the backup set must be present in order to restore the computer to the most current state possible. Incremental backups will be smaller and completed quicker especially if they’re created often. To restore an image from an incremental, you would choose an incremental in the chain and Reflect would restore the computer to that point in time. An incremental made after a differential will depend on that differential.

The incremental file itself will be relatively small but when mounting the incremental for viewing, you will see the contents of the entire backup set (at that point in time), not just the incremental.

Thats very interesting I think you may be right just the fulls would be good enough..
JK
JK
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
@capair45 
Should it read, "with weekly Differential Backups (also at 9:00pm every Friday of the month" eliminating the word "first".

Thank you for catching this copy/paste error.  I have revised the original response to fix this mistake and to make the wording a little more clear.

capair45
capair45
Master
JK - 12 January 2022 2:18 PM
@capair45 
Should it read, "with weekly Differential Backups (also at 9:00pm every Friday of the month" eliminating the word "first".

Thank you for catching this copy/paste error.  I have revised the original response to fix this mistake and to make the wording a little more clear.

Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender

capair45
capair45
Master
johnbor - 12 January 2022 1:46 PM
capair45 - 12 January 2022 11:09 AM

Thats very interesting I think you may be right just the fulls would be good enough..

I chose to do Fulls only as I feel (possible incorrectly) that there is less possibility of a failure than if I had a long chain of supporting files.  The drawback, of course, is space requirements and speed.  Fulls take up more space and longer to complete.  Neither is really an issue for me as I have large capacity destination HD's that I rotate through and my scheduled Fulls take place at night.

Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
^ You’re not wrong. Having lots of copies of your data as is the case with a group of Fulls, rather than fewer or possibly only one copy of your data as may be the case with an Incremental chain, is a more resilient strategy. So if neither time nor capacity is a constraint for you, then go for it. But if you got to a point where you wanted to retain backups for longer than huh could achieve using only Fulls and the destination capacity you had available, then that might be a time to consider using Diffs and/or Incs.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search