Possibility to exclude mapped drives to be scanned when starting Reflect

Author
Backitup
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I store convenient content on a share drive that is online only when I need it.
This share drive is permanently mapped on my computer.

Macrium Reflect 8 takes 63s to open if this share drive is offline.
But it takes a split second to open when the drive is online.

Wish: Ability to tag drives to prevent Reflect to scan them when opening the program.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Your first two sentences seem contradictory.  If it's only online when you need it, then it doesn't seem to be "permanently mapped".  If you can more clearly explain exactly what you're doing with that mapped drive, that might give some insight into what's causing the Reflect issue.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Backitup - 23 November 2021 12:32 AM
I store convenient content on a share drive that is online only when I need it.
This share drive is permanently mapped on my computer.

Macrium Reflect 8 takes 63s to open if this share drive is offline.
But it takes a split second to open when the drive is online.

Wish: Ability to tag drives to prevent Reflect to scan them when opening the program.

Thanks for the post.  Please see my response here:
https://forum.macrium.com/54212/RE-Reflect-v80-Built-6392-GUI-takes-63s-to-load-slow?PageIndex=2#54308

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Backitup
Backitup
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
jphughan - 23 November 2021 12:44 AM
Your first two sentences seem contradictory.  If it's only online when you need it, then it doesn't seem to be "permanently mapped".  If you can more clearly explain exactly what you're doing with that mapped drive, that might give some insight into what's causing the Reflect issue.

Windows 10 leaves mapped drives in the list of mapped drives even when the drive is offline. The state of that mapped drive is different in the list depending if it's online or offline. But it remains mapped.
It looks like Reflect is trying to scan offline mapped drives until they time out. Which leads to the awful long GUI load times when an offline mapped drive is present.
As soon as I unmap the drive or bring it online. Reflect loads as it should.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Ok, I guess I got confused that you said it's only online "when you need it".  That to me implied that you manually set up and tore down the mapping as you needed it.  I'm aware that Windows will leave drive mappings listed in Windows Explorer even when the target is offline, but whether the target is online or offline is typically dependent on the state of the target or the network you're currently connected to, not whether you need it at any given time.  Or do you actually take the remote device that hosts that share offline when you don't need it, or at least disable file sharing on the remote device side?  If so, I guess that's a good security practice, but it would have been good to clarify that a bit.  Anyhow, based on your other thread, if you never send backups to that target, then removing it from Reflect's destination list might solve your issue without any negative side effects.

Backitup
Backitup
jphughan - 24 November 2021 4:54 AM
Ok, I guess I got confused that you said it's only online "when you need it".  That to me implied that you manually set up and tore down the mapping as you needed it.  I'm aware that Windows will leave drive mappings listed in Windows Explorer even when the target is offline, but whether the target is online or offline is typically dependent on the state of the target or the network you're currently connected to, not whether you need it at any given time.  Or do you actually take the remote device that hosts that share offline when you don't need it, or at least disable file sharing on the remote device side?  If so, I guess that's a good security practice, but it would have been good to clarify that a bit.  Anyhow, based on your other thread, if you never send backups to that target, then removing it from Reflect's destination list might solve your issue without any negative side effects.

"but whether the target is online or offline is typically dependent on the state of the target or the network you're currently connected to, not whether you need it at any given time"
Exactly, so when I don't need it, I turn off the target as referred as offline.
When I need it, I turn the target back on... as referred as online.
Meanwhile as you know. The mapped drives remains listed in windows.
And when a target of a mapped drive is off... Then Reflect takes 63s to load it keeps trying to scan the offline target until it times out.

The only workaround I found so far is to disconnect the mapped drive (removes it from the list)

Edited 24 November 2021 9:08 PM by Backitup
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, well at least it's now a bit clearer what's going on.  Hopefully that helps Macrium determine what's going on.  Can you confirm that you have removed all references to the mapped drive path in both the Image and File & Folder destination lists, which you can view by selecting Existing Backups tab > [Image/File & Folder] tab > Edit button?  It might be helpful to know whether this behavior occurs only when that mapped drive is registered as a destination in Reflect or if it occurs simply as a result of an offline mapped drive existing in Windows.

Backitup
Backitup
jphughan - 24 November 2021 9:59 PM
Can you confirm that you have removed all references to the mapped drive path in both the Image and File & Folder destination lists, which you can view by selecting Existing Backups tab > [Image/File & Folder] tab > Edit button?  It might be helpful to know whether this behavior occurs only when that mapped drive is registered as a destination in Reflect or if it occurs simply as a result of an offline mapped drive existing in Windows.

I no you don't believe me but I never backup/restored anything to or from that target drive. But I went anyway and I didn't find any reference to the mapped drive in any of the history. There only 4 so editing them all didn't take long.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
It’s not that I didn’t believe you, but in your other thread when I clarified that there were two separate lists, my recollection is that you said you found a reference to that path in the second list you checked. But if that’s been removed or I’m just imagining that, then fair enough. Hopefully this can get fixed.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search