Scheduling stopped working

Author
jewelr
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Nick - 24 January 2016 8:59 PM
@Gary Kissinger,  @jewelr

Thanks for getting back.

Are you Microsoft beta testers for the Windows 10 insider preview releases?  If so, and if you haven't done so already, you should inform MS of your findings as part of your beta testing obligation. Windows 10 Insider preview has broken the Windows Task scheduler 1.0 API and is not a stable release. It is a far reaching problem that also affects Google updater amongst other applications scheduled tasks. It is surprising that they haven't fixed this yet. 

If you are not running the Insider Preview version, what release of Windows are you running and what are the symptoms?  You can find the Windows 10 version by executing 'WinVer.exe'.

Yes Nick, running the latest Insider Preview. I have reported this already. I am surprised this hasn't been fixed as well.

ukbadge
ukbadge
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
I'm grateful that I am not the only one. Have been suffering silently with this problem for some time. Is there a simple workaround or is it just a matter of waiting until MS fixes it?

jewelr
jewelr
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
ukbadge - 25 February 2016 2:40 PM
I'm grateful that I am not the only one. Have been suffering silently with this problem for some time. Is there a simple workaround or is it just a matter of waiting until MS fixes it?

Go into task scheduler and configure a task for "windows 10" instead of what is selected "Windows server2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000", the scheduled task will run. However,the schedule is removed from the scheduled backup tab in Macrium. It does still run on the schedule though.

ukbadge
ukbadge
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Is that it? Just go into properties for the Macrium entries and change the 'configure for'......blimey.

jewelr
jewelr
Yes, that's it. The backup will run on schedule just no signs of it running and it wont log it in Macrium.
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Careful...  Unless something has changed since this was first brought up there will be problems running a Reflect task under Windows Task Scheduler if you change the "configure task for" option other than "Windows server2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000".  This has been something which has been discussed before and Reflect isn't designed to work under other "configure task for" options in Windows Task Scheduler.  I don't recall the specifics of exactly what problems were caused offhand, but there have been a handful of posts in the forums on the subject.
jewelr
jewelr
Gork - 27 February 2016 8:38 AM
Careful...  Unless something has changed since this was first brought up there will be problems running a Reflect task under Windows Task Scheduler if you change the "configure task for" option other than "Windows server2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000".  This has been something which has been discussed before and Reflect isn't designed to work under other "configure task for" options in Windows Task Scheduler.  I don't recall the specifics of exactly what problems were caused offhand, but there have been a handful of posts in the forums on the subject.

I am speaking from my experience. I have been using this work around since the issue popped up with the preview build. It has worked in every preview build that has been released. I have also restored quite a few test with the backups and have all been successful. I have actually never had a backup program perform as well and reliable as Macrium does.
ukbadge
ukbadge
Just to confirm its working for me, and I'm grateful. Thanks.

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
All I'm saying is be careful in case unexpected things happen.  This is from version 5 but I've not heard anything about Reflect being changed to accommodate the newer API in Windows Task Scheduler:
http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5140

jewelr
jewelr
Gork - 1 March 2016 8:02 AM
All I'm saying is be careful in case unexpected things happen.  This is from version 5 but I've not heard anything about Reflect being changed to accommodate the newer API in Windows Task Scheduler:
http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5140

Yes Gork, that is one of the side effects that I mention in my third post of this thread, "the schedule is removed from the scheduled backup tab in Macrium and no log is created". Just like stated in your reference to version 5.
One always needs to be careful though when it comes to important data. These things are expected when you are on a Beta OS.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search