Machine rehibernates after about 2-3 minutes before backup completes

Author
Peter
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a backup scheduled to wake the machine from hibernation, run the backup, and then do nothing (i.e. no power saving options set in Reflect, just whatever the win 10 power options are set to, which are set to hibernate never, sleep never).

The machine wakes from hibernation at the scheduled time, the backup is started, and then the machine hibernates while the backup is still running, typically in about 2-3 minutes.

I saw this behavior also with version 7, but only in the last month or two, after I installed a local disk for backups to avoid network issues.

Reflect is supposed to prevent sleep, and presumably hibernation when running. Note that this is a dell xps 15 9500 laptop which has "modern sleep" (s0), no hybrid sleep, but does allow hibernation.

If I create an independent task scheduler task, the exact same thing happens, i.e. the task wakes the computer, the task runs (also finishes because it does hardly anything), and the computer hibernates even though power options are set to 'never' hibernate or sleep.

I recall at some point I think reading that on return from sleep in win 7, the machine will go back to sleep after a short time -- shorter than what is set in power options -- if there is no user input. So, maybe that is what is happening in win 10 with respect to hibernation. However, Reflect is supposed to prevent that, and that is not occurring.

So, my ultimate question is:
What is the mechanism that Reflect uses to prevent sleep/hibernation? If i know that, I may be able to troubleshoot why that is being prevented. There are registry hacks that prevent such things; maybe even through powercfg, I forget.

Or, if anyone can provide tips on how to troubleshoot this, I would be grateful.

(My current workaround is to use a script that includes "powercfg /hibernate off" and "?powercfg /hibernate on", not a very elegant method, but it does work.)

Thanks.

Edited 18 November 2021 1:38 AM by Peter
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search