Network credentials for backup to NAS

Author
Heinz@Macrium
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I am doing backups to my NAS. For security reasons I want to use a technical user which is the only one having WRITE access to the backup path on the NAS. I also would like to have READ access with my Windows credentials.
I specified the credentials in Other Tasks -> Edit Defaults -> Network tab and set the NAS permissions appropriately.
Unfortunately Reflect uses these credentials only if a network connection isn't already established. Because the connection will be established ny my windows user first the backup task only gets READ access to the NAS path and the backup fails with message Backup aborted! - None of the specified locations could be written to.
The only way I found to get Reflect to use the credentials defined in the Network tab is to remove all access rights for my Windows user in the NAS.
This behavior does not make sense to me. If I specify credentials for a specific NAS path in Reflect I expect Reflect to use these credentials independent of whether a network connection exists or not. Otherwise I can not use Windows Explorer to browse/mount my backups on the NAS while securing your backups against viruses, ramsomware etc.

If other ways exist to get READ access for my Windows user while the Reflect user has WRITE access to the NAS I would be happy to if these ways could be shared with me.

Thanks and kind regards,

Heinz

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Heinz

Thanks for posting. 

A Windows user can only have one authenticated network access to a share at any one time, concurrent connections are not allowed by Windows networking. You have two options:

1. Generate an MSDOS Batch, VBScript or PowerShell script file and prior to executing the backup execute the command:

net use /delete \\server\sharename

This will delete the current Read only access and Reflect will then reconnect using the saved Read/Write credentials. You should also call the same command after the backup completes otherwise the logged in user will have Read/Write access to the share after the backup.  Note: The current user will have Read/Write access during the backup.

2. Modify the user account details for scheduled tasks to use a different Windows Account. Take 'Other Tasks' > 'Edit Defaults' > ''Schedule' and enter the account details. This will update existing scheduled tasks and any new tasks created will use the new credentials. The tasks can be run on demand by your Windows user with Read only access by right clicking on the task in Reflect and selecting 'Run Now'.  The task will be executed by a different user, will not use the existing Read only network connection and will connect using the saved Read/Write credentials. Note:  The task will execute entirely in the background.

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Edited 27 December 2015 3:23 PM by Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...