Troubleshoot Not Getting Failure Emails

Author
BenR29
New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Helo, unless I'm mistaken, my backup scheme is only sending me failure emails if one of my scheduled tasks fails, but not the other two.
I'm on Macrium Reflect 7 Home Edition 64-bit UEFI 7.3 build 6284.

My script runs a full backup once a month, a differential once a week, and an incremental daily.
I got a backup failure email about my incremental, but then I noticed that my full and differential backups had failed, and my email searches don't show that I was emailed about those failures.  I thought that my settings would have generated emails for all failures.   The scheduled backup screen says that the differential and full backups failed on Nov 1, and I'm almost certain that I haven't updated Macrium between now and then.  

I checked my spam folder.  Unfortunately, gmail has deleted older items, but I think the probability that it filters emails for one failure but not another.are low.  

Would someone mind helping me see if there is an error on my side?  (also if my settings are nonsense, I'm open to constructive criticism Smile 
Thank you!

(I remember I woke up to a blue screen of death one recent AM, and in the past I've seen Macrium blue screen when it encounters a bad block... if I can find a record of the crash and find that the blue screen happened while Macrium was working, is it reasonable to request that Macrium be able to track whether it crashed in it's last operation?  It sounds like it would just require Macrium to check its log for failures upon startup.  A flag could be saved, and only removed when Macrium completes its operation without crashing.)

Edited 3 November 2021 8:09 PM by BenR29
BenR29
BenR29
New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)
Edit: upon further reflection, even if the blue screen was a coincidence, wouldn't it be reasonable to ask for Macrium to catch if an operation didn't complete because of a system crash?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
I don't think Reflect goes back and looks for incomplete job executions.  I can see why that might be useful, but I don't know how much effort it would be.  Also, given that blue screens are relatively rare and that they're highly disruptive when they do occur, which means people would be likely to notice and motivated to solve them when they occur, I'm not sure how useful that feature would be to most people.  Anyhow, the place you want to check here is the actual job logs, not the definition files as you posted.  You'll find them under the Logs tab.  Check the logs of the jobs that you don't think generated emails.  If Reflect sent an email, that will be noted near the very bottom of the job log.  If you don't have a job log at all from the backups where you didn't get emails you were expecting, then the blue screen might have prevented Reflect from committing a log to disk.

But at the end of the day if you're using a single definition file to run all types of backups, which is the typical practice and appears to be what you're doing, then it wouldn't be a configuration issue that's creating email problems.  There aren't separate email options for Full vs. Diff/Inc backups, so if you're getting the desired behavior with Fulls, then Reflect would be doing the same thing for Diff and Inc backups.

And just for future reference, if you go the Backup Definition Files tab, you can view the definition file configuration as a single presentation.  The only differences between yours are the job type, but the version shown under Backup Definition Files would show the full schedule.

Hopefully this helps!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
One other side note: You aren’t running a script. The XML file shown in your first screenshot is a definition file. A script is a batch file, VBScript file, or PowerShell script that would call that definition file. That design is sometimes used if people want to do things before and/or after the actual Reflect backup.
BenR29
BenR29
Thanks for helping me with the terminology. 

I figured there weren't separate email configurations, I was just looking for the cause of not getting a failure email.
In the last few minutes, I found out that I'm getting a BSOD when I run my full backup.  It says SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION.
My first inclination is to do a bad sector scan on the 7 TB drive, as in the past I've had Macrium crashes related to bad sectors....

It will be a long process, any other ideas?

Google shows that a while back a Macrium patch addressed a SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION, which makes me think it might be macrium related.  I bought a license for version 8, upgrading to it might shake something loose, but then I'd be adding more variable to the problem.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
No ideas just based on that specific blue screen error. But you might want to use a utility like WhoCrashed to analyze the dump files that your system should be creating when this happens. That might give a clue as to the culprit.
Edited 3 November 2021 10:52 PM by jphughan
BenR29
BenR29
I appreciate it.  I'll report back if I find anything helpful to share
BenR29
BenR29
I ran the 11 hour scan and came up with no bad blocks.

If I repeatedly get blue screens when I run an operation with Macrium, shouldn't I suspect that it's a bug with Macrium?  (I know this doesn't belong in this subforum any more I guess).
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
It could be a conflict between Reflect and some other application on your system.  Third-party anti-malware is a common culprit in that respect.  For what it's worth, I've been active on this forum for a few years now and this is the first report I've seen of a blue screen during a backup.

Edited 4 November 2021 3:29 PM by jphughan
BenR29
BenR29
(please don't take the below as an argument, I'm just trying to discuss, but sometimes it comes across as negative.  Thank you.)

I used to support about 100 people in an office, you'd be surprised with the bad computer behavior some people will just live with rather than to try to find a solution. Smile

I've been here at least once before, back when I discovered that a file system error would consistently cause Macrium to blue screen Smile
When I searched for the term "macrium SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION, I at least get this patch note from Macrium.  I'm just saying that this means there's precedent, nothing more.

"Bug Fixes v7.2.3957 - 21st December 2018
Macrium Changed Block Tracker (MRCBT)
Some customers have experienced a Windows system exception causing a BSoD if the CBT feature was installed with v7.2.3954. This has been resolved."

Another person at this link seems to have been in the same situation, but he brought it to the MS forums:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bd0f3d3d-b65a-474e-a4d8-58647ea40bfe/win-10-bsod-systemserviceexception?forum=win10itprogeneral

It's interesting to note that my incrementals are running fine.  I could just manually nuke my old full backup as I believe that's the first thing my definition file is trying to do when it crashes, and that would probably bypass the problem, but I'm not confident about how my definition would react to that outside change. 

I'll follow up with the advice to look at the crash dump and also try to do a drive diagnostic another way.  I did add an M2 drive to my system recently, but it's not part of this backup scheme.  One never knows, I suppose.

My backup drive is an external USB SSD.  My internal drives are one SATA SSD and one SATA HDD.  

If it seems like I'm not doing things in the most efficient way, it's because I'm trying to do other tasks and every reboot or BSOD is a PITA Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search