Getting error message but image backup working anyway

Author
Mark Phelps
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When I run an image backup of my Win8.1 install using MR v6 Home build 499, I get the following in the Image Options tab under Imaging Summary:
Backup Definition File: C:\Users\<username>\2015-03-05\<fn>-00-00.mrimg
XML Validation:  Error - "<disk>" "2" "<partition>" 2" is not valid-

The "XML Validation" line is in red

I have four drives in my desktop.  How to I find out which drive that MR considers "disk 2"?

One of the drives contains Linux filesystem partitions because I'm running some Linux distros on the desktop.  Is that the drive?

I actually tried a test just after I upgraded from MR v5 Pro to MR v6 Home and was able to backup and restore all the Linux filesystem partitions.  So, MR can read those partitions without problems.

Edited 11 March 2015 6:00 PM by Mark Phelps
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Mark Phelps (3/11/2015)
How to I find out which drive that MR considers "disk 2"?

Reflect's main user interface displays all of your drives and partitions in order and it should show you a disk number and ID for each drive. Select the tabs [Backup] and [Create A Backup].  You might want to post a screenshot for additional info on the issue that you're seeing.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 11 March 2015 6:21 PM by Arvy
Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
OK, this makes even less sense...   You can see in the screenshot that MR is complaining about disk 2, partition 2. As seen in the other screenshot, disk 2, partition 2 is the Win8.1 partition -- the very partition that I'm doing the image backup on.http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/041c560c-17d9-4be5-950b-5bd1.jpg

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/a385a3da-d675-4af6-9acf-c893.jpg

How can MR complain about the partition being invalid but yet, then perform a backup of that same partition -- without further problems?

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
I'm guessing a little bit here, so one of the Macrium reps may need to jump in to save us both.

It appears to me that what you are seeing indicates an error in that backup job definition (My Backup.xml) which is not the same thing as an actual invalid drive partition.  If I'm right, you'd have no problem with backing up the drive itself.  It's fine.  You'd just need to fix that job definition -- edit or delete and recreate it -- to do whatever you want it to do.  Perhaps it got corrupted somehow during your v5 to v6 upgrade.

Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
Richard: You're right.  Your comment about backup definition files caused me to do further investigation and, as it turns out the pathame and filename of the Backup definition file in the error message is incorrect!  The error message says C:\Users\<username>\2015-03-05\<fn>-00-00.mrimg ... but that is not a definition file, that is an image file!  The definition files are stored in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Reflect and are of the format "My Backup[(nn)].xml" -- because they are xml files.

So, I deleted the previous backup definition files, reran the backup and this time, the Backup Definition File name in the Imaging Summary section is correct and no errors were reports.

Thanks very much for your help.

Edited 13 March 2015 1:21 AM by Mark Phelps
Richard V.
Richard V.
You're welcome, Mark.  Glad it worked out and wasn't an actual "invalid partition" issue.  If you'd like to mark my earlier response as "the answer" it might be helpful to others searching this forum in the future.

Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
OK, done

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search