Aborted Backups

Author
DougGTR
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When I manually run a backup Definition File.  The back up runs and writes to my NAS.  If the backup Definition File is launched as a Scheduled Backup, I get the following error:

Backup aborted! - None of the specified backup locations could be written to

I assume this has to do with the username and password on my NAS.
How do I tell the Definition File the username and password? 
I had the same Definition Files in v.7 and did not have this problem.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
Go to Edit Defaults and Settings > Network and make sure you’ve got suitable credentials stored. If you run a backup definition file manually, Reflect will be running in your user session and will therefore be able to piggyback on any authenticated network connections that are already open in your user session, so Reflect doesn’t even need to have stored credentials in that case. A scheduled backup runs as a background scheduled task in a separate context, and as such does not have access to your own user session’s open network connections. This hasn’t changed since V7. That’s just how Windows works. And that’s why Reflect offers that mechanism for storing network credentials.

There is one workaround, which is to run scheduled backups as a user account that has “implicit” access to the network target. (It also has to have admin access on the system where Reflect is installed.) In that case, you don’t have to store credentials in Reflect because the account itself is already granted the necessary access, but that’s more commonly found in Active Directory environments that use centralized user accounts for a larger environment. But Reflect V7 defaults to running scheduled backups as the SYSTEM account, which does not have any implicit access to network resources.
Edited 21 October 2021 7:40 PM by jphughan
Nanolab
Nanolab
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Hello,

That's the very same problem as this thread titled "Incorrect Username o Password after upgrading to build 6161".

Like DougGTR, my scheduled backups were imported from a V7 working Macrium, and I'm sure V8 scheduled works worked till the latest version...
I triple checked my network credentials (using a NAS too here) but every scheduled backups abort with "None of the specified backup locations could be written to" and " Invalid (The user name or password is incorrect.)" written in the logs...

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Nanolab - 22 October 2021 5:03 AM
Hello,

That's the very same problem as this thread titled "Incorrect Username o Password after upgrading to build 6161".

Like DougGTR, my scheduled backups were imported from a V7 working Macrium, and I'm sure V8 scheduled works worked till the latest version...
I triple checked my network credentials (using a NAS too here) but every scheduled backups abort with "None of the specified backup locations could be written to" and " Invalid (The user name or password is incorrect.)" written in the logs...

The advice given the OP by @jphughan is applicable to your case as well.   I run my backups as the System user, and I had to re-do the information in the network default information.

L W "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS 
MR v8.0.6786+    Win10.21H2-19044.1889+    Win11.21H2-22000.856+

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search