Reflect schedule ran wrong backup

Author
bachastain
Talented Member
Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I only have 2 backup definition files.  BackupA has a schedule of every Friday at 2 am.  BackupB has no schedule.  A job kicked off at 2 am Friday morning but it was BackupB that ran, not BackupA.  BackupA and BackupB have different filenames so I can tell which one ran.

Program scheduler is set to "Use Macrium Task Scheduler.   The Scheduled Backups looks correct.  Just one item scheduled, BackupA on Fridays at 2 am.  BackupB not configured.

So why did it run BackupB overnight?

Thanks.
bachastain
bachastain
Talented Member
Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)
Here is the log file for the overnight job.  Note that CDriveTotalWeekly was supposed to run, but the filename used is:

File Name: Append to recent Image in directory 'S:\Backup\BACHome\'

Destination:
Backup Type: Incremental
File Name: Append to recent Image in directory 'S:\Backup\BACHome\'
S:\Backup\BACHome\58C4F3AA3ADCD54A-CDriveTotalSnapshot-2021-09-17T02.00.59-01-01.mrimg

CDriveTotalSnapshot is a different backup job.  The filename should have been CDriveTotalWeekly

What does "Append to recent Image" mean here?  Did it append to the most recent filename (Snapshot) instead of the configured file (Total Weekly)?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
The first line of the log you attached shows the definition file for the job that ran, and it shows CDriveTotalWeekly.xml, which sounds like the one that you've set to run on a schedule.  So it appears that Reflect ran the correct definition file on the correct schedule, but that job generated a backup that was appended to a set originally created by your other definition file.  That can happen depending on the configuration of your definition files.  When you create an Incremental, Reflect will append to the most recent matching backup, regardless of how it was created.  A match is defined as an existing backup that contains the exact same partitions as the ones you're backing up in the current job.  So if your two definition files are backing up the same partitions and storing their backups in the same folder, then it is absolutely possible for a backup created by Job A to get an Incremental added to it by Job B.

Edited 17 September 2021 3:36 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
I forgot to address the issue about the name of the backup that was generated.  Naming is enforced within a set.  Even if you change the naming scheme in your definition file, any backups generated by that definition file within pre-existing sets will keep using the naming scheme that was in effect when that set was created.  So that's how you ended up with this outcome.  Your CDriveTotalWeekly.xml file might have specified a different naming scheme, but since it created a new backup in an existing set, the file it generated used that set's naming scheme.

bachastain
bachastain
Talented Member
jphughan - 17 September 2021 3:38 PM
I forgot to address the issue about the name of the backup that was generated.  Naming is enforced within a set.  Even if you change the naming scheme in your definition file, any backups generated by that definition file within pre-existing sets will keep using the naming scheme that was in effect when that set was created.  So that's how you ended up with this outcome.  Your CDriveTotalWeekly.xml file might have specified a different naming scheme, but since it created a new backup in an existing set, the file it generated used that set's naming scheme.

Ok, the old job was called CDriveTotalWeekly and backup to CDriveTotalWeekly*.  My second backup set was created with the right click "Duplicate" function so it would preset most of the initial settings, which gave me an XML of "CDriveTotalWeekly (Copy).xml".  I then renamed that to "CDriveTotalSnapshot.xml" and changed some of the settings including the filename.

You're saying it chose the wrong filename because of the duplicated old setting rather than the new one I edited?  How can I avoid that?  Stop using Duplicate and create new jobs from scratch?

Thanks.
bachastain
bachastain
Talented Member
I have it backward.  The original job was called CDriveTotalWeekly.  That's the one with the schedule.  That filename has never been edited, yet it used the wrong filename anyway.  The wrong filename came from a newly added set called CDriveTotalSnapshot, which I had previously run twice.  So since CDriveTotalWeekly was never edited, why is it choosing the wrong filename?
bachastain
bachastain
Talented Member
jphughan - 17 September 2021 3:35 PM
When you create an Incremental, Reflect will append to the most recent matching backup, regardless of how it was created.  A match is defined as an existing backup that contains the exact same partitions as the ones you're backing up in the current job.  So if your two definition files are backing up the same partitions and storing their backups in the same folder, then it is absolutely possible for a backup created by Job A to get an Incremental added to it by Job B.

I don't understand that.  Why the program would ignore the unedited filename in the definition XML file?  How do I configure the filename and get the program to use it as specified?  I have no interest in adding to the most recently used set.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
When you add a backup to an existing set, Reflect names the new backup according to the naming scheme that is defined for that set, which occurs when the Full that creates that set is first created and gets embedded in the metadata of that Full. So whatever naming pattern you set for that Full will be used for all future backups created in that set. That way all backups within a given set use the same naming pattern. The naming in the definition file will be used when starting a new set (i.e. a new Full backup).

Reflect always adds Diff/Inc backups to the newest matching set. You can’t configure it to “ignore” certain backup sets and continue appending new backups to a set that’s older than the most recent matching one. So if your two definition files will generate backups that match each other based on their content and you don’t want your scheduled TotalWeekly job to ever add Diff/Inc backups to Full backups that were created by your non-scheduled TotalSnapshot job, then configure the TotalSnapshot job store its backups in a different folder.
Edited 17 September 2021 4:36 PM by jphughan
bachastain
bachastain
Talented Member
jphughan - 17 September 2021 4:31 PM
When you add a backup to an existing set, Reflect names the new backup based on the naming scheme defined for the set so that backups within a set use the same naming pattern. The naming in the definition file will be used when starting a new set (i.e. a new Full backup). Reflect always adds to the newest matching set. You can’t configure it to “ignore” certain backup sets and continue appending new backups to set that’s older than the most recent one. If you don’t want your scheduled TotalWeekly job to ever add backups to Full backups created by the TotalSnapshot job, then have the TotalSnapshot job store its backups in a different folder. 

Wow.  The program goes to great lengths to allow me to group my backups by filename, and then promptly ignores me for follow-up incrementals.  This couldn't be less intuitive.

Yep, it sounds like different folders is the only acceptable workaround.

Question, I currently have a single folder with multiple sets in it.  Can I simply move those sets to individual subfolders, edit the folder name, and expect everything to work ok, or must I start over and recreate the sets from scratch?

Thanks for the help.

JK
JK
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
I think the setting "Enforce an entered image or File and Folder backup file name" under Advanced Backup Settings (in Other Tasks > Edit Defaults and Settings > Advanced Settings) will make Reflect behave the way you want it to:

From the KB:
Normally, if you run an Incremental or Differential image of say drive 'C', the target folder is searched for a recent backup set for the same source (Drive 'C'). The backup set is then appended to. The file name you have chosen for the backup will not be used in this matching process.

If you enter your own file name and select "Enforce entered image or file and folder backup file name" then only backup sets using the same backup definition file name and for the same source will be appended to, if none is found then a new full will be created.

I'm not sure if this actually requires matching to "the same backup definition file name" (as written verbatim in the KB), or if they meant that the "backup file name as specified in the backup definition" has to match in order for a child Inc/Diff to be appended.  In either case, it should work for the situation described in the OP.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search