viboot option greyed out

Author
FredL
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I thought I'd try to get viboot and hyper-v working. Here's my versions:
  • Win 10 Pro 21H1
  • Macrium Home Edition 8 6036
  • Hyper-V installed via Add/Remove Programs
"Launch Macrium viBoot" option is enabled on the left-hand side, and on clicking the viBoot window launches.
However, for my backup images, the viboot option isn't enabled either in the menu, or by right-clicking:

The backups are an image of my C drive. There seems to be two primary NTFS partitions on the drive, one is "C" and another at 516MB, not sure that that one is. I've tried viboot from an image of both partitions and from an image of just the 'C' partition, but the viBoot button is greyed out in both instances:

There seems to be a ton of hyper-v services installed, but not all are running by default (maybe some others should be started?)

Any ideas?

Edited 27 August 2021 6:04 PM by FredL
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)
What happens if you open the viBoot application directly and try to create a VM from your image that way?  If you don't see the viBoot application, then you might not have the actual viBoot component installed.  That's one way that option can be grayed out.  To check that, open Programs and Features, select Macrium Reflect, click Change, and then step through the wizard.  If viBoot isn't checked there, then check it and proceed through the wizard to install it.

FredL
FredL
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
The viBoot application window opens fine. How would I create the image from there? The viBoot application doesn't allow me to choose a .mrimg file...
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)
Click the New button in the upper-left corner.

FredL
FredL
Actually that works great, thanks.

Ah, but then I get:

Edited 27 August 2021 6:59 PM by FredL
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Then proceed through the wizard, which will include a step where you specify the MRIMG file you want to use.  The full process is described on this page of the Reflect User Guide, specifically under the "Macrium viBoot Wizard" section of that page.  If the wizard identifies a problem with the image that prevents it from being booted, then that may be why the viBoot button is grayed out for those images.

ddk
ddk
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
jphughan - 27 August 2021 6:59 PM
Then proceed through the wizard, which will include a step where you specify the MRIMG file you want to use.  The full process is described on this page of the Reflect User Guide, specifically under the "Macrium viBoot Wizard" section of that page.  If the wizard identifies a problem with the image that prevents it from being booted, then that may be why the viBoot button is grayed out for those images.

I found recent backups had the viBoot option greayed out. From about the time I made some hefty changes in prep for Windows 11. I changed the hard disk from MBR to GPT. I changed from BIOS to UEFI. I enabled secure boot. I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11. When I select an older image, viBoot is available, but not newer ones.
I discovered that one of those changes created a new partition on the disk, which was not included in my backup. See attached pic, its the 200mb partition on the right. When I include that in the image, viBoot is available, and working to a point.  All is fine until VirtualBox tries to actually run the image and Windows crashes. It might be the fact its trying to run Windows 11. I've got the latest Macrium 8, latest VirtualBox etc.
Still, the crash is another issue, at least viBoot is available again.

Attachments
mr4.jpg (5 views, 39.00 KB)
L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
If I had to guess, I think that "last" partition on the disk is the EFI (boot) partition, and the layout is non-standard.  It's kind of amazing that it boots at all.

L W "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS 
MR v8.0.6979+    Win10.21H2-19044.1889+    Win11.22H2-22621.521+

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I'm not amazed that the image boots.  The standard placement for the EFI partition is either the first partition on disk or the first partition after the Windows Recovery partition that used to be created as first on disk.  But placing it elsewhere by itself won't break anything.  You do however need to have it in order to boot the system, which is why viBoot was grayed out when you had an image of a GPT disk that lacked that partition.  In terms of why VirtualBox is locking up, I can't speak to that.

You're also missing the MSR partition.  That's supposed to exist after the EFI partition.  How exactly did you convert your disk from MBR to GPT.  It doesn't appear that you used Microsoft's own MBR2GPT utility, which despite the name does more than a simple MBR to GPT conversion.  It also creates the appropriate additional partitions for a GPT disk that will contain a Windows partition.

If you were so inclined, you could actually use your existing Reflect image backups to perform a custom restore that would set up your disk in the normal fashion.  Basically, restore only the EFI partition currently at the end of your disk to the beginning of your target disk by using drag and drop.  Then manually create an MSR partition.  And then run another restore to bring back Partitions 2-4 from your screenshot, in their current order, beginning directly after the MSR partition on the target disk, again using drag and drop.  Partition 1 in your screenshot is no longer needed.  That's a boot partition that applied to MBR/BIOS systems.  Initially that partition didn't exist at all and the Windows and Windows Recovery partitions would be the only partitions on such systems, but at some point the default layout started to include a System Reserved partition even on MBR/BIOS systems.  But that's useless now that you're using GPT/UEFI.

ddk
ddk
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Thankyou both. I will digest that and try some testing. Just need to find time.....Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search