Definition Files

Author
geoffL
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When I select Create Backups > Definition Files, this is what I get;

I do not know why this particular XML file is displayed (I have 5 XML files). I can't see a way of selecting a different XML file.

What appears when I select Definition Files is different to what the KnowledgeBase shows should appear:
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW80/Retrieving+saved+XML+backup+definition

I am new to Macrium reflect, please can anyone explain this?

Windows 11 Home, Microsoft Edge, Macrium Reflect 8, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium.
LibreOffice 7, Mailbird.

JK
JK
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
You need to resize the top panel.  Hover your mouse over this gray line until the mouse pointer changes into a resize symbol (two parallel lines with two small arrows pointing up and down):

Then click and hold the left mouse button while dragging the mouse pointer downwards.  

Due to a bug (or incomplete implementation), the resizing is not displayed dynamically as you drag, but when you let go of the left mouse button, the divider will have moved to the location at which you ended the click-and-drag, and you should be able to see the list of definition files (along with the text labels for the action icons in the top row).

geoffL
geoffL
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
@JK
Thanks very much for your prompt reply.
That's solved my problem.
I would never have found that solution on my own.

Windows 11 Home, Microsoft Edge, Macrium Reflect 8, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium.
LibreOffice 7, Mailbird.

JK
JK
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
@geoffL  Glad to be able to help.  

Hopefully somebody from Macrium reads this topic and takes note of the GUI problem that prevents the resize action from being displayed dynamically during the click-and-drag.

Also, they should probably prevent the horizontal border from being placed so high that the job options/xml panel completely obscures the list of definition files and even crops the icons in the top row.  It would make sense if the column headers and at least one row of the definition files list were guaranteed to be displayed.

I'm wondering how you ended up with the interface displayed as shown in your screenshot to begin with.  Assuming you didn't accidentally click-and-drag the gray border to move it upwards, perhaps some other automatic resizing of the GUI (maybe caused by changing monitor resolution or font sizes, etc.) was the cause of this.

capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
...I am new to Macrium reflect...

Just wanted to emphasize the importance of creating and testing rescue media.  Perhaps you already have.
There is a rescue media builder wizard within the application. After installing Reflect, the very first task should be creating and testing rescue media.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1889
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.10

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
JK - 18 August 2021 4:30 PM
@geoffL  Glad to be able to help.  

Hopefully somebody from Macrium reads this topic and takes note of the GUI problem that prevents the resize action from being displayed dynamically during the click-and-drag.

Also, they should probably prevent the horizontal border from being placed so high that the job options/xml panel completely obscures the list of definition files and even crops the icons in the top row.  It would make sense if the column headers and at least one row of the definition files list were guaranteed to be displayed.

I'm wondering how you ended up with the interface displayed as shown in your screenshot to begin with.  Assuming you didn't accidentally click-and-drag the gray border to move it upwards, perhaps some other automatic resizing of the GUI (maybe caused by changing monitor resolution or font sizes, etc.) was the cause of this.

I, too, saw this and I think it was in the late stages of V8 Beta testing; I did not report it -- I suspected that my mousing around on a relatively-new screen had inadvertently collapsed the upper part of the display, it was easily fixed and has not returned. Too many folks have reported the same problem that I now think is a bug - with symptoms known but not the underlying cause. 

L W "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS 
MR v8.0.6786+    Win10.21H2-19044.1889+    Win11.21H2-22000.856+

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search