View/edit backup schedule

Author
mgkuzyk@gmail.com
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
How can one view or edit scheduled backups in v8?

capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
Open Reflect > Click the Definition File Tab > Select the file you wish to edit > Select EDIT (or right-click the file and select EDIT).

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1889
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.10

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
After doing that, click Next to view the Schedule section of the wizard.  Or you can right-click the definition file of interest and click Schedule to open the wizard directly to that step.

[email protected]
mgkuzyk@gmail.com
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
What threw me is that I only saw this:

I started it yesterday and I saw the file backed-up file on my backup drive but the job didn't run today.  Then I clicked on the Referenced File tab as got this:

So it appears that the backup job did not save.  I'll try again and check this tab to see if this happens again.

Edited 15 August 2021 6:06 PM by [email protected]
[email protected]
mgkuzyk@gmail.com
When I save the job using the Backup Save Options, it appears that my default is to save to OneDrive but in the screenshot above Macrium expects it to be in a specific path.  That path does not exist.  I would think that if I didn't override the defaults, Marcrium should have saved the scheduled job in a place that it could read it...

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
When you say your default is to save to OneDrive, where do you believe you've set that?  When you click Finish in a backup wizard to see the Backup Save Options dialog that contains options to run the job now and save it as an XML file, the default save path for the latter is wherever you last saved an XML file.  If you've never specified a custom location before, the initial default of \Documents\Reflect will be used, which appears to have been what was used for the definition file you're showing in the screenshot.  It's important to note that the save location of the definition file can and should be different from the save location of the actual backups that it generates.  In terms of your comment that "Marcrium should have saved the scheduled job in a place that it could read it", you should be able to read the \Documents\Reflect folder of your own user profile.

Edited 15 August 2021 6:26 PM by jphughan
capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
When you get to the Backup Save option box, you can select where you want the definition file to be saved.  The default location is C\Users\Users Name\ Documents\Reflect.  Click the three dots (...) to change the location.

Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender

[email protected]
mgkuzyk@gmail.com
Ah, I now see what seems to have happened, and it has to do with windows "being helpful." To make a long story short, I have two OneDrive accounts  -- one for work and one for home.  And Windows chose my work account.

When I saved my job last time (and when I try to do it now), the default path that comes up in Macrium is my WORK OneDrive folder.  I see the job saved there.  However, there is no Reflect folder on my personal onedrive.  So please correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that Reflect expects the job to be in my documents folder.  So, I just created a folder there, saved the job there and just ran it.  Now it works and I see everything.

Thanks to all for your comments. 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Glad it's sorted.  I would recommend that definition files be saved on purely local storage that will always be available, such as some folder on your C partition.  Definition files are not especially important to back up.  Any previously created backups and their associated logs will still be available and completely usable if the definition file that created those backups gets lost later, and definition files are easy to recreate if ever needed.  But you always want Reflect to be able to access a definition file, which is why storing them in a cloud folder can be a bit riskier.  The reason is that if you for example have email alerts enabled for job failures, Reflect will need to be able to read the definition file to see that email configuration.  If the job fails because Reflect can't access the definition file, then not only will you get no backup, but you'll also get no failure notification email.

capair45
capair45
Master
You're welcome!  I keep mine in the default location.  I tend to shy away from cloud storage.

Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore