What is the behavior when multiple backups are scheduled in quick succession?

Author
hanness
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Assume the following scenario:

I schedule a disk image backup to run at 2:00 AM.
I also schedule a file and folder backup to run at 2:01 AM.

If we assume that that the disk image backup will take 30 minutes to run, how will reflect behave?

Will it...
1) Run the file and file and folder backup as scheduled at 2:01 AM.
2) Queue up the file and folder backup so that it will begin after the the disk image backup has completed.
3) Skip the file and folder backup because Reflect was busy with another operation at the time that the file and folder backup was scheduled.

My hope is that it will queue the backup and run it after the first job is done.

My reason for asking:

My disk image backup can take a variable amount of time. On some days there will be very little incremental change while other days may have large deltas. My hope is that by scheduling the file and folder backup only one minute later than the image backup, I will get the most efficient use of time and both jobs will finish in the least amount of time. Otherwise, I'll have to guess at an amount of time long enough to guarantee that the image backup completes before the file and folder backup starts which would be very inefficient if the image backup completes very quickly and the system has to sit idle a long time before the 2nd job starts. 

capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
hanness - 1 August 2021 8:59 AM
Assume the following scenario:

I schedule a disk image backup to run at 2:00 AM.
I also schedule a file and folder backup to run at 2:01 AM.

If we assume that that the disk image backup will take 30 minutes to run, how will reflect behave?

Will it...
1) Run the file and file and folder backup as scheduled at 2:01 AM.
2) Queue up the file and folder backup so that it will begin after the the disk image backup has completed.
3) Skip the file and folder backup because Reflect was busy with another operation at the time that the file and folder backup was scheduled.

My hope is that it will queue the backup and run it after the first job is done.

My reason for asking:

My disk image backup can take a variable amount of time. On some days there will be very little incremental change while other days may have large deltas. My hope is that by scheduling the file and folder backup only one minute later than the image backup, I will get the most efficient use of time and both jobs will finish in the least amount of time. Otherwise, I'll have to guess at an amount of time long enough to guarantee that the image backup completes before the file and folder backup starts which would be very inefficient if the image backup completes very quickly and the system has to sit idle a long time before the 2nd job starts. 

#2 is how Reflect will behave.  As soon as the current running job finishes, the next job in the queue will start. 

I have seen some posts in the forum indicating that when "multiple" jobs are in queue, they may not run in order but I doubt that would be the case with just 2 jobs.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.2006
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6979
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.10

Edited 1 August 2021 12:00 PM by capair45
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
Yes, in your scenario, with only 2 queued backups, they will run in the order they were queued.  The first one starts and is running before the 2nd one is started and queued.  So, there's only one job queued.  If you had more than 2, on previous versions of Reflect, there didn't appear to be any set behavior for how queued jobs were executed.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search