Restore Failing - External USB SSD Not Found

Author
Steven Marty
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I am running Macrium Reflect Workstation v8.0.6036 on Windows 10 Enterprise.  I am successfully backing up images to both a network location and a USB-attached external SSD.  I am able to restore the images successfully from the network location.  When I attempt to restore an image backup from the USB SSD, the restore fails with the following message...

"Restore failed - Error 2 - X:\PATH_TO_MY_IMAGE\MY_IMAGE.mrimg - The system cannot find the path specified."

I booted to Windows RE manually and the USB drive is not present.  I also created Rescue Media on a USB stick, booted from it, and the USB drive is not present there either.

The USB SSD appears as a regular drive in Disk Management (NOT removable).  I disabled Secure Boot in the BIOS but that didn't make a difference.

Not sure what I'm missing but would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Drac144
Drac144
Guru
Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)
Are you sure that you have the correct drivers on your rescue disk?  Is the USB drive connected to your local computer?  Is the USB drive connected directly to your computer or is it plugged into a USB Hub?
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Also, check to make sure the USB SSD is recognized in Reflect in Windows itself/File Explorer, outside of the Rescue Media.

Are you using WinPE or WinRE for your Rescue Media?  While it probably won't help here, if you're using WinPE, try creating new Rescue Media with WinRE.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
This is just a regular USB-based SSD, not a Thunderbolt SSD? Do any other USB peripherals work in the Rescue environment, such as a keyboard/mouse, etc., or is your whole USB host controller unavailable in Rescue? If you click the Restore menu at the top of the application and select View Unsupported Devices, are there any USB devices listed? Does your system require any special USB host controller drivers within Windows? That’s unusual for Windows 10, but some chipsets do not use the native USB 3.x controller drivers built into Windows 8 and up. If you click over to the “Create a Backup” tab, is the SSD shown in that list of discovered hardware, or does it not appear at all even there? What happens if you click the Refresh link at the top of that page? I remember some cases of certain USB enclosures taking a while to wake up and therefore not being detected when Reflect first launches, but clicking Refresh after waiting a few seconds causes them to be detected.

There’s a checkbox in Resuce Media Builder under Advanced > Devices & Drivers to have Rescue Media Builder copy USB drivers out of the host OS environment into the Rescue Media rather than relying on the built-in USB support of the WinPE/RE kernel you’re using. That’s normally not necessary for WinPE/RE 10, but you could give that a try.
Edited 31 July 2021 7:16 AM by jphughan
Steven Marty
Steven Marty
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
Thanks for the help.  Answers to the questions...

Yes, this is just a regular USB-based SSD.

Other USB peripherals work in the Rescue environment (wireless Logitech mouse).

If I click Restore | View Unsupported Devices, the message "All devices have drivers loaded" is displayed.

No special USB drivers are required in Windows.

When I click the "Create a Backup" tab, the USB SSD does not show up in the list of drives.  Clicking the Refresh link does not change that.

I rebuilt using the host drivers option and that made no difference in Windows RE.  It still doesn't see the drive.

Even though the drive works fine as a backup destination in Windows, I also tried another USB cable but that didn't help.  Tried another USB port as well...no joy.

For grins, I plugged a USB 3.0 memory stick in while in Windows RE and when I click Refresh, it DOES show up.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
That’s a very strange set of answers…

When you tried another USB port, did you make the swap while in Rescue? I’m wondering if attaching the disk while in Rescue might make a difference, as opposed to the disk already being connected. And are you using a USB port directly on the system as opposed to on a hub?

I admit those are rather long shot questions given that the disk works fine in full Windows, but if you’ve already swapped the cable and port, and other USB devices work in Rescue, AND the disk works in Windows without any special action, I’m running out of ideas. My last resort might be to try WinPE 10 rather than WinRE 10 in case there’s some issue caused by drivers already built into your system’s WinRE partition before Reflect even gets to it, but here again I admit that it’s a long shot. But with this combination of circumstances, long shots are all I’ve got!
JK
JK
Expert
Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)
There may still be some clues that can be gathered.

First of all, it wasn't clear to me whether the restore error reported in the OP occurred in the rescue environment or in Windows.  Can the USB SSD be seen as a restore source when running Reflect in Windows, and can it be mounted/browsed and verified in Windows?  Or do the restore problems occur only in the rescue environment?

Second, I was curious about this statement:
The USB SSD appears as a regular drive in Disk Management (NOT removable).

What do you see if you run Device Manager and select view by connection -- where is the USB SSD shown? 

Third, it is possible that if there is anything unusual about the USB interface to the external SSD, that some relevant information could be obtained using a diagnostic utility such as USBTreeView.

Drac144
Drac144
Guru
Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)
What is the make/model of the USB drive having the issue? 
Steven Marty
Steven Marty
Replies to additional questions below...

When I tried another USB port, I booted into Windows RE with the drive attached to one port and then swapped it in RE.  I also tried booting into Windows RE with nothing attached and then connecting the drive.  Same behavior in all cases (drive not seen - slow activity light flashing on the enclosure).  There is no USB hub used.

There are no errors and everything works fine with the drive while in Windows.  The drive can be mounted/browsed and used successfully as a backup destination.  The issue is that in order to do an image restore, the restore has to be done from Windows RE.  In RE, the drive is not detected at all.

I don't see anything unusual in Device Manager in Windows.  As I mentioned, everything in Windows is working correctly.  The problem is only in Windows RE.

The enclosure is an Inateck FE2005.  I opened the enclosure and the chipset is from JMicron and the identifier on the chip is JMS567.  The SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB (MZ-75E250).

JK
JK
Expert
Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)
So when you said "The USB SSD appears as a regular drive in Disk Management (NOT removable)", that was something that happened in WinRE, not in Windows?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search