Scheduled job not running until I login

Author
NJK-HOME
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an Incrementals Forever job setup for 9 AM M-F.  It does not run until I login with the account that was used to create the job; at login it prompts me to start the job (for example this morning I logged in at 9:15 to see if it ran, but it did not and instead prompted me to run the job at that time).

I am a little confused - I thought the purpose of scheduling a job was so it could run unattended without having to login first.  The job is using the Marcum's scheduler, running as system, and is set to wake the computer up from sleep.  Am I missing anything else?  Or this just a limitation of Windows Home addition that requires a user to be logged in first?

Thanks
NK
NJK-HOME
NJK-HOME
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
NJK-HOME - 27 July 2021 2:19 PM
I have an Incrementals Forever job setup for 9 AM M-F.  It does not run until I login with the account that was used to create the job; at login it prompts me to start the job (for example this morning I logged in at 9:15 to see if it ran, but it did not and instead prompted me to run the job at that time).

I am a little confused - I thought the purpose of scheduling a job was so it could run unattended without having to login first.  The job is using the Marcum's scheduler, running as system, and is set to wake the computer up from sleep.  Am I missing anything else?  Or this just a limitation of Windows Home addition that requires a user to be logged in first?

Thanks
NK

Oh, I forgot to mention I am also using Image Guardian on the image storage drive.  Would that require login of the user in order to access the drive?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
I'm using Macrium Task Scheduler on a Windows Server 2016 box that almost never has anyone logged in, and its scheduled backups work fine.  I also use Image Guardian, and since that operates as a driver, I wouldn't expect it to be affected by a user session.  And even if it were, I would expect the backup to fail with an access issue, not for the scheduled task to fail to run as expected but immediately run at login.  I'm also not aware of limitations of Home editions of Windows that would be responsible for this.

As a test to eliminate the sleep functionality you mentioned, try creating a schedule for a one-time execution set a minute or two in the future, then log off of Windows but keep your system awake at the lock screen.  Wait for a minute past the scheduled start time and log in, then see if Reflect is running the job in the background.

NJK-HOME
NJK-HOME
jphughan - 27 July 2021 2:31 PM
I'm using Macrium Task Scheduler on a Windows Server 2016 box that almost never has anyone logged in, and its scheduled backups work fine.  I also use Image Guardian, and since that operates as a driver, I wouldn't expect it to be affected by a user session.  And even if it were, I would expect the backup to fail with an access issue, not for the scheduled task to fail to run as expected but immediately run at login.  I'm also not aware of limitations of Home editions of Windows that would be responsible for this.

As a test to eliminate the sleep functionality you mentioned, try creating a schedule for a one-time execution set a minute or two in the future, then log off of Windows but keep your system awake at the lock screen.  Wait for a minute past the scheduled start time and log in, then see if Reflect is running the job in the background.

Thanks for the reply - I will give it a test with the machine not in sleep.
Thanks
NK
L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
NK:  are you using Windows Task Scheduler (WTS) or Macrium Task Scheduler?  Which reflect version? 
How is the switch Wake the computer to run this task set on your scheduled tasks?  

L W "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS 
MR v8.0.6786+    Win10.21H2-19044.1889+    Win11.21H2-22000.856+

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
^ The last two questions are both answered in the initial post.

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
^whoops.

L W "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS 
MR v8.0.6786+    Win10.21H2-19044.1889+    Win11.21H2-22000.856+

NJK-HOME
NJK-HOME
L. W. "Dan" Danz - 28 July 2021 1:14 AM
^whoops.

No worries.  To answer the other question, I am running the latest build of v8.

NK
NJK-HOME
NJK-HOME
jphughan - 27 July 2021 2:31 PM

Looks like Macrium is unable to wake the computer.  I set the job to run as you suggested and logged out.  I waited 10-15 minutes and logged in and the job had run successfully.

Other that enabling the power option to never sleep the computer, is there any way to get Macrium to work with a PC at sleep.  I do have checkbox set - but it has no affect.
Thanks
NK
Edited 28 July 2021 1:40 AM by NJK-HOME
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Does your PC use “Connected/Modern Standby”? I vaguely remember a report about some problem with this option on systems that used that feature. I may be wrong on that, but it rings a bell.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search