Totally Lost

Author
Jerry Duro
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In my version 7 when I used rescue everything always worked. If I used the rescue disk it just rescue. Now I just can't figure it out. I have an image file that I'm trying to rescue with but I can't do any thing .It starts to assign different letters to everything that is on the disk. All I want is to rescue my main disk.I used the version 8 to make an image file. Can I revert back to version 7 to rescue it? This new version is too complllicated for me.. 
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)
If your image has no special encryption or password access, you should be able to restore it with v7 without a problem.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
Your reference to assigning different drive letters to everything on the disk makes it sound like you're choosing to Browse the image rather than Restore it.  The Browse function is used when you want to mount a partition contained in an image backup as a virtual disk so that you can browse its contents and copy individual files out of it.  The mounted virtual disk gets assigned a drive letter for convenience, which is why you assign one.  By comparison, the Restore function is used when you want to restore one or more partitions in their entirety onto a target disk -- but that option does not require assigning drive letters beforehand.  Both of these options also existed in V7.  If you can provide screenshots of where you're getting stuck, we may be better able to help.  The Rescue Media environment includes a built-in screenshot capability for this purpose.  Just click the camera icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the interface and then you'll see a Save As dialog where you can choose where to save the full screen screenshot that will have just been captured.

Edited 26 July 2021 11:45 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)
I was also under the impression upon reading the OP that the assigning of drive letters meant they were unintentionally Browsing the image backup set(s) instead of Restoring them.

Jerry Duro
Jerry Duro
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
jphughan - 26 July 2021 11:44 PM
Your reference to assigning different drive letters to everything on the disk makes it sound like you're choosing to Browse the image rather than Restore it.  The Browse function is used when you want to mount a partition contained in an image backup as a virtual disk so that you can browse its contents and copy individual files out of it.  The mounted virtual disk gets assigned a drive letter for convenience, which is why you assign one.  By comparison, the Restore function is used when you want to restore one or more partitions in their entirety onto a target disk -- but that option does not require assigning drive letters beforehand.  Both of these options also existed in V7.  If you can provide screenshots of where you're getting stuck, we may be better able to help.  The Rescue Media environment includes a built-in screenshot capability for this purpose.  Just click the camera icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the interface and then you'll see a Save As dialog where you can choose where to save the full screen screenshot that will have just been captured.

Jerry Duro
Jerry Duro
It is hard to send a screen shot because there is nothing that would explain what was happening. When I try to run a rescue from the computer it says unable to lock drive. The following drive is in use and restore cannot continue. Run from Windows PE. At that point it keeps goings round and round. Sometimes, it would shut the machine down. Then I try to boot from the rescue disk and the same thing happens. Finally, I try to run rescue in the safe mode and the same thing happens. With version 7 I can do any of these things and I’ll always get a rescue. Also, with version 7, I could click of the image file and it would open Reflect and I get a perfect rescue. I cannot do that with Version 8.
I went into my garbage can and pulled out an old version 7 rescue disk and it worked perfectly. I do not know what I’m doing wrong but the Version 8 rescue disks just screw me up. Even when I take out the PE10 it leads me back to the Microsoft install file. I tried to make the disk with RE10 and it still leads me back to Microsoft windows Install file. The two computers, I have Reflect on, are dual boot with Windows 8.1 pro and Windows 10 Pro. Reflect is used in the 8.1 mode.
At one point, using the Version 8, it looked like it was finally going to rescue but it could not find the image file. The image file is on drive O (the letter o). I had no control of directing it there. It was in the Microsoft mode where it said to select an image file and there was no way I could point to O.
By the way, the image file was made in version 8.
This is the next day
I thought I would try it again. This time I noticed the file type was not associated with Reflex. I do not think that was the problem. So, I made another rescue disk. This time I let all the check marks blank and chose RE. The rescue worked this time. I do not know if what I used to do will work but at least I have a rescue disk that works. Besides, which right next to me, I have a 3 month old puppy that is peeing on my shoes.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
Ok, the first aspect you describe of being unable to lock the drive and seeing an option to reboot into Windows PE occurs if you try to start a restore of your Windows partition from within Windows.  I'm not sure why that's hanging on occasion.  But I also don't know what you mean about trying to run "rescue in safe mode".  The Rescue Media environment has no concept of Safe Mode.  That is a Windows concept.  If you mean you're booting Windows into Safe Mode, then launching Reflect and trying to stage the same restore of your Windows partition, then I don't know what's going on there either, but there isn't really a benefit to doing that.

Have you tried booting your PC directly into your Rescue Media and staging the entire restore there instead of staging it from Windows and choosing to reboot into Rescue?  Do you know how to boot your PC directly from an alternate boot device?

Regarding this: "I could click of the image file and it would open Reflect and I get a perfect rescue."  Even assuming you meant to say "restore" there since "rescue" isn't an actual operation, I'm not sure where exactly you're clicking on an image file -- but if you click on one in Windows Explorer, you end up mounting it for browsing, not performing a restore.  If you're clicking on it elsewhere, again it might be helpful to provide a screenshot so we know exactly what you're looking at and what you're clicking on.

Regarding this: "Even when I take out the PE10 it leads me back to the Microsoft install file."  I don't know what you mean by "taking out the PE10" or "the Microsoft install file".

Regarding this: "It was in the Microsoft mode where it said to select an image file and there was no way I could point to O."  I have no idea what the "it" in that sentence is, or what "the Microsoft mode" is, or what your O drive is.  Is that an external hard drive?  A mapped network drive?

Unfortunately at least for me, your follow-up post has made me even more confused than I was after reading your first post.  I'm not following what you're describing, and you've also expanded your problem report to cover quite a bit more ground.  I still think that screenshots would be helpful.  Even a screenshot captioned with something like, "This is what I'm looking at, and when I click on this button shown in the screenshot, I'm expecting X to happen, but instead I get Y," would probably be helpful.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.4K reputation)
I, too, had wondered about the double clicking on an image file starting Reflect.  It would simply open an interface for mounting an image as a virtual drive.

I don't want to put words in the OP's mouth, but I think the "Microsoft install file" with regards to the PE10 may be the ZIP file that contains the WinPE components that Reflect Download Agent downloads for importing into Reflect upon when it's in the same directory as the installer/can be pointed to for loading by the Rescue Media Builder.

JK
JK
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Besides, which right next to me, I have a 3 month old puppy that is peeing on my shoes.

This got a chuckle out of me.  Smile   Good luck, OP!  And if you're going to post screenshots for JP, maybe sneak in a picture of the puppy as well!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search