Cloning Ext HDD -> Different HDD - Disk Number Mismatch

Author
SilkyTP
Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an external WDC HDD that I want to clone to a second WDC HDD that is exactly the same as the first. That is to say, I have two of the same models (8 TB) and one of them is empty; I wish to clone the one that has data on it to the one that does not. But there seems to be a problem with the Disk Number reported by MR 8, and I'm hoping I can get it cleared up here.

This screen shot shows the drive numbers in the Disk Management Console of Win 10 Pro. I am trying to clone Disk 6 (source) to Disk 8 (destination)

This screen shot shows the drive numbers in MR 8 as Disk 7 (the source) and Disk 9 (destination)

I want to select the proper volumes for the clone, but due to the mismatch I can't be certain that the proper disk is selected as a source or a destination.

Can anyone provide any clarity?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Reflect starts its disk numbering at 1. Windows starts at 0, even though it starts its partition numbering at 1. So Disk 6 in Windows would be Disk 7 in Reflect.
JK
JK
Expert
Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)Expert (681 reputation)
In your MR 8 screenshots, Disk 7 is your source, and Disk 9 is your destination.

You can tell by the following indicators:

• The volume label for the partition on your source disk is "Avedis", but on your destination disk it is "Avedis2".
  • The drive letter for the partition on your source disk is K:, but on your destination disk it is L:.
  • Your source disk contains 3.65 TB of data, but your destination disk only contains 350 MB.
  • If you want to be really sure, you can use the "detail disk" command in diskpart to see the Disk ID, and confirm that it matches the long alphanumeric string shown after the disk number in MR's partition view.

Edited 20 July 2021 12:33 AM by JK
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
@SilkyTP If it helps provide additional reassurance, Reflect doesn't rely on disk numbers these days anyway -- which is good because the number assigned to a disk can change, especially when it comes to external disks where number assignment will depend on connection sequence.  Instead, with GPT disks Reflect relies on the disk GUID.  That is the long string you see next to "GPT Disk X" in your screenshots.  You can compare that against the GUID as shown by Windows tools for the disk numbered N-1 relative to Reflect's numbering.  To view that, you can use Diskpart by entering "select disk X", using the N-1 value for X, and then then entering "detail disk", which will show the GUID as the Disk ID.  Or you can use PowerShell by entering "Get-Disk | select Number,GUID".

Edited 20 July 2021 12:36 AM by jphughan
SilkyTP
SilkyTP
Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)
You guys are Rock Stars for the quality of information you've provided. I ran my clone and it failed twice with Error 9. I'm looking to find out why. First the log file:
Clone ID - 08E8C2D474D8F8B7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dismounting drives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Clone - 19 July 2021 19:33

Creating volume snapshots
Volume Snapshots Created
K:\ \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy10

Source Disk: GPT Disk 7 [2FFF2BF0-6BA3-45EC-90C8-30852191C696] - WD Elements 25A3 1030 <7.28 TB>
Geometry: 972797\63\512
Destination Disk: GPT Disk 9 [6DE6D1ED-D1FC-403D-B767-0A1BE536DBFF] - WD Elements 25A3 1030 <7.28 TB>

Clone Type: Intelligent sector copy
Verify: Y
Delta: Y
SSD Trim: Y
Power Saving: N
Email On Success: N
Email On Warning: N
Email On Failure: N

Operation 1 of 1
Copy Partition: 1 - Avedis (K:)
NTFS 3.61 TB / 7.28 TB
Destination:
Start Sector: 2,048
End Sector: 15,627,984,895
Partition Type: Primary

Checking file system
Looking for changes
Performing full copy
Processing: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy10
Closing VSS. Please Wait...
Gathering Windows Events

Clone failed - Error 9 - Read failed - 433 - A device which does not exist was specified.

I/O Performance: Read 261.5 MB/s - Write 347.2 MB/s

Macrium Reflect Home Edition v8.0.6036 - 76-SF9Q-GR15-574J-MNN5-RDHT-631ZZY5

The following is what the VSS Events reports:

Event Data - 2 Items

Date:    7/19/2021 7:33:52 PM
Type:    Warning
Event:    12348
Source:    VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{776c8da2-5eff-4f2f-829c-0f8ec9e3831f}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Operation:
 Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
 Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
 Execution Context: System Provider

Date:    7/19/2021 7:33:52 PM
Type:    Warning
Event:    12348
Source:    VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{776c8da2-5eff-4f2f-829c-0f8ec9e3831f}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Operation:
 Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
 Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
 Execution Context: System Provider

Following the error, my source (drive K) disappears and the new clone is recognized as drive F in File Manager. So... I think it's an understatement to say I'm having trouble cloning this external HDD. What am I doing wrong?

Edited 20 July 2021 10:23 AM by SilkyTP
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
One cause of the error about being denied access to a VSS snapshot is third-party AV.
SilkyTP
SilkyTP
jphughan - 20 July 2021 1:36 PM
One cause of the error about being denied access to a VSS snapshot is third-party AV.

Well.... I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro in June and only use Windows Defender and Firewall. No third party programs for that.

Last week, I successfully cloned my main HDD (C: ) to an identical 2nd HDD (D: ). Worked like a charm. So I can't put 3rd party software on the list of potential culprits just yet.

Something is happening that "ejects" the my source HDD and at failure "mounts" the cancelled destination drive as the next available drive letter, in my case "F" - and the source drive (Avedis K: ) is not listed in File Explorer. Further, the dialog that shows the progress from MR has the "close" button greyed out and must be closed manually. I ended up re-booting with the destination unplugged, and there was K: again.

I'm afraid to try cloning any other USB HDD's until I can solve this pickle. So any ideas are welcome.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Remounting the target after the clone ends (I guess successfully or otherwise) is expected since the destination is taken offline to other access during the clone operation.  But I'm not sure why the source would be disappearing or why you'd be seeing those access denied errors on a clean install of Windows.  Sorry!

SilkyTP
SilkyTP
jphughan - 20 July 2021 2:05 PM
Remounting the target after the clone ends (I guess successfully or otherwise) is expected since the destination is taken offline to other access during the clone operation.  But I'm not sure why the source would be disappearing or why you'd be seeing those access denied errors on a clean install of Windows.  Sorry!

Well thanks for the attempt. I guess I'll try to ping customer support and see if I'm SOL on that feature.

SilkyTP
SilkyTP
@jphughan

A thought occurred to me... Could Hyper-V be interfering? I'll explain why I thought of it...

When I first did my Clean Install of Windows, my primary goal was to get HVM up and running. I did that and I had left it's settings for locations of VHD's default. When I discovered how much data the VM and related files consumed, I used a move operation from within HVM to move the stuff to drive K: (Avedis). Well... I didn't know what I was doing really, and when I did the move operation, I ended up with nothing working right so I changed strategy. I created my VM from viBoot and from then on just launched it in HVM adding checkpoints and stuff. My VM works fine and viBoot set the location of snapshots and whatnot on the C drive.

HVM settings still point to that K drive even though there is nothing in the folders there. See this HVM screen cap:

On drive K, here are the folders still left over:

To be clear the only folder with any data in it is the Macrium Images folder, and the VHDX file in the root that viBoot created.

All of this is to find out if the Hyper-V settings could be causing the VSS errors, even though there's no data there.

Thoughts?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search