Username or password incorrect

Author
DougM
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Decided to test my rescue process. My PC c:\ image is stored on my Synology NAS. I can see the image file address but the restore doesn't connect. The error shows username or password is incorrect. I assume this is the Synology NAS access username/password. A would have expected a logon window but this  is not provided so can someone advise where I enter the username and password from within the Macrium PE recovery environment please.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
If you have credentials cached in Reflect under full Windows, which you can check under Edit Defaults > Network, then those stored credentials get copied into your Rescue Media builds.  Reflect may be trying those, so if they're incorrect, that might explain the behavior.  As a workaround, can try opening the Command Prompt application by clicking its icon in the Rescue Media taskbar and running "net use" to see if there are any active authenticated network connections.  If not, you could map a drive to your NAS using the "net use Z: \\MyNAS\MyShare /user:MyUserName *" (that final asterisk means "Prompt me for the password after I press Enter"), or you can open the PE Explorer application by clicking the folder icon in the taskbar, where you will see a button to map a drive using a graphical interface.

DougM
DougM
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Thanks for your quick reply jphughan.  I deleted the old credentials and created a new one. I also created a logon in my NAS specifically for Macrium to access the NAS. Tried rebooting the NAS. No joy.  Didn't have any luck with the net use command. So I tried the PE Explorer option by creating a network interface. Depending on logons I got either too many same logons or specified logon doesn't exist.

At this point I was convinced that the real issue was Macrium WinPE could not find or connect to the NAS server although Macrium Reflect uses the NAS all of the time and NAS files were visible today as well.

Tried a few other google answers but got nowhere. Left the PC running WinPE for an hour or so. On returning I tried again and Win PE immediately found the NAS. So I am guessing that it took a while for Macrium to connect to the NAS. Also I noted that net use identified the NAS as connected as well.

Although it finally connected during this test process, I am still a little nervous that if the need arises for me to restore an image for real, I wouldn't then have the luxury of having an operational Macrium Reflect to play with a Win PE boot disk!

Thanks again and if you have any further thoughts, I would be pleased to hear of them!

Regards
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Happy to help, or try to at any rate. Are you perhaps running Reflect V8 even though this is in the V7 section? The reason is that this sounds similar to another thread recently created about V8, and that person said that after working with Macrium Support via support ticket, they acknowledged an issue with V8 Rescue Media that affected accessing network resources and that a fix would be in the next release, and since that time there has not yet been a new release.

The difference though is that in their case, mapping via “net use” worked. Based on the errors you’re getting, try running “net use * /delete”, which will clear all open network connections, then try mapping a drive. Any change?

And since you changed your stored network credentials, try forcing a WIM rebuild on your Rescue Media, because a WIM rebuild is necessary in that case but I don’t think Reflect will perform one automatically if that was the only change. To do that, open Rescue Media Builder and hold Ctrl to expose an arrow on the Build button. Click that and then click Force WIM Rebuild. Good luck!
DougM
DougM
Hi again. Recreated rescue media using CNTRL Build.
Still no success. So went through the following:
Checked net use - no entry
Selected folders to search - my network path was listed so I selected it. Search timed out with message "no username or password ... etc"
Checked net use - still no entry
Suddenly a list of image files was listed.
Checked net use again and the file location was listed.

So the outcome is I have ended up with what I was expecting although the time to discover the files was quite long. My best guess is recreating the rescue disk was probably the fix as the time and activity to create the disk was considerably longer than other times.

Thanks again but I think I am there!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Interesting.  Now that you mention it, I've seen some reports of long wait times for backups to populate in the Existing Backups tab when they are coming from network locations, but they were mentioned in the context of Reflect running in full Windows, not in the Rescue environment.  If there's a way to improve that, it may arrive in a future update.  But good to know you've at least got a workaround for now!

DougM
DougM
jphughan - 20 June 2021 10:20 PM
Interesting.  Now that you mention it, I've seen some reports of long wait times for backups to populate in the Existing Backups tab when they are coming from network locations, but they were mentioned in the context of Reflect running in full Windows, not in the Rescue environment.  If there's a way to improve that, it may arrive in a future update.  But good to know you've at least got a workaround for now!

Hello again
I did some further digging and believe I have resolved the problem as detailed below. I believe the root of the problem was attempting to use a NAS logon that was already in use. When I tried to logon to the share directory, I often got the warning that Windows wouldn’t allow multiple logons of the same name.

So my solution is as follows:
  • Create a user on the NAS with its own logon and password with the required permissions.
  • Open Macrium Reflect and in the other tasks – edit defaults – network menu, delete all credentials that existed and entered new credentials: \\server\share\ and the logon/password created for this purpose.
  • Created a rescue device by selecting CNTRL Build and force WIM rebuild.
For the test:
  • Shut down the NAS and PC (to ensure all users are logged off the NAS)
  • Restarted NAS (no users logged on)
  • Rebooted the PC using the Reflect rescue utility.
Within the rescue utility:
  • Select [image] folders to search
  • If the source folder is not listed add it in the format \\server\share\ and provide the logon and password already set up for this use in the NAS.
At this point net use displayed the listing.
The image files available were immediately displayed

By creating a “personal to Macrium” logon I think this solves the problems I was up against won’t reoccur. So although I hope I never have a failure requiring restoring an image, I feel more confident that I will be able to recover my PC now. The lesson is TEST YOUR PROCESS before you need it for real!
Hope this helps others.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search