V8 Backup Defs missing / not showing in list

Author
spokey
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just updated to version 8.  I've used a backup definition on my computers that is essentially
<computer name> - YYYYMMDD - {IMAGEID}

I was disappointed that m V7 files didn't just show up in V8, but went through the process of creating a new one.

I store these on the network drive in a folder below the actual image files.  I got a warning that it was not recommended or necessary but I proceeded as keeping the backups together makes the most sense to me.

Without trying to understand the entire XML file, it does look like it has been correctly created.  But it doesn't show up in the definitions list.  IT is in exactly the same location as it was for V7.

How to I get that in the list?

2 -

While creating the definition file, it looked like Macrium was indicating that it would not be as above but would be prepended with {IMAGEID}.  I don't want IMAGEID in front, I want it at the end (sorting reasons).  I didn't see any checkbox or other way to get rid of this prepended IMAGEID.  But I saw this in the XML file -

<file_name SetPrefix="Y">

Is that what does it and any reason not to manually edit the XML to change that to 'N'?

thx

spokey
spokey
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
2021-06-18 1533 EST Update

It will show a definition file from that location on the network.  Just not the same definition filename I used in V7.

First I tried saving to the local drive and that def shows up, but is undesirable.
Next I just created any old file on the network and it showed up.
But my original definition still doesn't.  I happened to use the same name as I did in V7.  That seems to be the hangup.  If it has any other name, it shows in the definition list.  So I think Macrium has a bug here in the upgarde or something.
My V7 definition file name - Zinnia - Full - CI.xml
My working V8 definition file name - Zinnia -- Full - CI.xml
Just adding the extra dash did it.
Edited 18 June 2021 7:39 PM by spokey
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Not sure what happened there, but there are very good reasons that Macrium defaults to storing definition files on the local system, and specifically under \Documents\Reflect, rather than with your backups.  What seems intuitive/sensible to you may not be a better solution than the way the application's developers thought would be a best practice.

First, it's worth understanding you don't actually need your definition files to restore backups.  Second, assuming you're backing up your Windows partition or at least your user data, having them in their default location means they actually get backed up.  Having them on the destination means they won't, unless you also back that up to another location.  But there are also some security and other risks associated with keeping your definition files elsewhere, especially on a network location.  For example:
  • If you use encryption for your backups, your definition files store the password.  In general, you do not want to store the key with the data that you locked with said key.
  • The \Documents\Reflect folder is locked down so that by default, only your profile can access it.  That makes it safer against malicious modifications, as Macrium described in their KB article here.
  • If you have email alerting enabled, then that only works if Reflect can access the definition file so that it knows the job has alerting configured.  But if you had a network issue that prevented Reflect from accessing that definition file, then the job would fail, but you would NOT get an email alert about it.
The goal with a definition file is to make sure it is in a location that is both locked down from malicious changes AND reliably available.

spokey
spokey
thanks for the security warning

I just use the definition file to have a consistent standardized filename.  That is my goal

I don't use encryption or the email.   If malware or malpeople get to where the definition file is kept, I've got bigger problems.

The disadvantage is losing changes on a restore.  This is my test machine.  I do restores 3-4 times a week.  And Macrium works great for this.

I have no doubt that if I made a change, I'd end up restoring over it and not realizing it until sometime later.

I kept my six machines backups all on a 14T external drive attached to another computer.  If need be, I could grab it and run.  I periodically copy the current backups to a smaller SSD that rotates in  to my safe deposit box.

As I noted, I have kind of fixed my problem.  But Macrium ought to be aware of the potential bug.

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Expert
Expert (612 reputation)Expert (612 reputation)Expert (612 reputation)Expert (612 reputation)Expert (612 reputation)Expert (612 reputation)Expert (612 reputation)Expert (612 reputation)Expert (612 reputation)Expert (612 reputation)
MR doesn't list XML/definition files just because it finds them in some directory.   You must "import" or "register" or whatever you want to call it, but you have to "Add" the files you want to use to the Reflect environment.   I believe that the registration process occurs automatically if you create new definition and save it at the end of creation.   Any "old" files (or those that have been unregistered/deleted from Reflects list of definition files) must be re-imported, though.  Beware that if you had created a scheduled execution entry in either task scheduler, that task definition embeds a reference to the directory and the XML file.   So if you go moving things around after that you'll create a mess.

<on soapbox> My strong recommendation:  put all the xml files where Macrium Reflect expects them, register them (i.e. Add the definition file to MR), delete any scheduled tasks you might have created when they resided elsewhere, and then recreate scheduled tasks that will reference the new location.

I make this recommendation for any others who might read this post in the future, since the OP has stubbornly refused to listen to advice from Macrium and from very experienced users on this forum and insists that there is a potential bug in the software rather than in his methods of trying to bend the software to his paradigm.  BTW, I follow my own advice and don't have the problems claimed for V7 (or v8 - because it remembered files I had registered under v7 and re-imported them for v8 at installation time).  In this regard, MR works exactly as designed and documented.  <off soapbox>

L. W. "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS  

spokey
spokey
L. W. "Dan" Danz - 19 June 2021 3:30 PM
MR doesn't list XML/definition files just because it finds them in some directory.   You must "import" or "register" or whatever you want to call it, but you have to "Add" the files you want to use to the Reflect environment.   I believe that the registration process occurs automatically if you create new definition and save it at the end of creation.   Any "old" files (or those that have been unregistered/deleted from Reflects list of definition files) must be re-imported, though.  Beware that if you had created a scheduled execution entry in either task scheduler, that task definition embeds a reference to the directory and the XML file.   So if you go moving things around after that you'll create a mess.

<on soapbox> My strong recommendation:  put all the xml files where Macrium Reflect expects them, register them (i.e. Add the definition file to MR), delete any scheduled tasks you might have created when they resided elsewhere, and then recreate scheduled tasks that will reference the new location.

I make this recommendation for any others who might read this post in the future, since the OP has stubbornly refused to listen to advice from Macrium and from very experienced users on this forum and insists that there is a potential bug in the software rather than in his methods of trying to bend the software to his paradigm.  BTW, I follow my own advice and don't have the problems claimed for V7 (or v8 - because it remembered files I had registered under v7 and re-imported them for v8 at installation time).  In this regard, MR works exactly as designed and documented.  <off soapbox>

Well I don't really think it's "stubbornly' at all.  I actually listed my reasons and no one has said "oh, well if you did this, that problem is solved".  And the reasons for not saving it on a network did not seem to pertain to my use case.

If this were truly a bad thing to do, the Macrium should not let me do it through the interface.  The recommendation to store it locally didn't say anything like "if you proceed in this foolish course of action, the software won't work reliably"

As for importing, I did exactly that when it first didn't show up.  Clicked the '+' and picked the file.  The list remained empty.  I then recreated it from V8 and if I use the same name as I had in V7, it doesn't show up.  Created it a second time and I got a "do you want to replace" on the save.  Click OK or Yes or whatever.  Didn't show up in the list. When I did any of those procedures but named it differently, it showed up.  Now perhaps Im being defensive, but that sure seems like undesirable behavior,.  Hence a bug.  Don't you think?

What I plan to do is to restore back to V7.  I will delete that definition file before upgrading again to see if it allows that filename having removed it in V7.  I'll let you know.  I may also try adding a local definition in V7 and doing the upgrade to see if the same problem occurs there. 

Edited 19 June 2021 4:08 PM by spokey
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Is your network location path using a mapped drive letter rather than a direct UNC path?
spokey
spokey
jphughan - 19 June 2021 4:36 PM
Is your network location path using a mapped drive letter rather than a direct UNC path?
The backup itself, the definition file as well as the folder to search on restore are all UNC

I  did go through restore to V7, then deleted the definition file.

Upgraded to V8 then walked through the create image to add the new definition (on the network drive).  It did work this time.  I'm thinking deleting in V7 cleans up and area that the upgrade does not.

Having gone through all that I will probably change to storing it locally. Recreating the definition file isn't  big deal if I lose it.  I do like that Macrium finally added the metatags.  Will save me effort.  They are missing '{IMAGEID}' or it's a name I don't recognize.  I had to chose a different tag and then change the inside{} to IMAGEID as you can't type the left brace.  That just drops the list
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
ImageID doesn't appear in the list because it's already included.  Notice that even if you leave the Backup File Name field completely blank, the file name example text below will still show {IMAGEID} at the beginning of the name.

spokey
spokey
jphughan - 20 June 2021 12:28 AM
ImageID doesn't appear in the list because it's already included.  Notice that even if you leave the Backup File Name field completely blank, the file name example text below will still show {IMAGEID} at the beginning of the name.

If you mean the prepended IMAGEID, that's an option that can be turned off in advanced options.  I do use the IMAGEID but have it at the end.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search