BSOD with viBoot

Author
njf
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Recently upgraded to v8 Home. Received an email about viBoot supporting VirtualBox and thought I should try it. Never used a virtual machine before.

Installed VirtualBox and add viBoot to Reflect in Programs and Features.

Created my first new backup including the UEFI partition. Previously, I only backed up the OS partition. When I open it with viBoot, it crashes every time with a BSOD saying CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

The first time I was using the default setting of 2,048 Mb RAM. Increased it to 4,096 and 9,192 in case memory was the problem. My laptop has 16Gb. Every time it gets to about 8% and then crashes the computer.

Any solutions?

TIA
Edited 18 June 2021 3:40 PM by njf
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Open Reflect and in the upper-left corner, click "Create an image of the partitions necessary to back up and restore Windows".  Notice the partitions that are pre-selected.  Are you currently backing up ALL of those?  If not, do that and keep doing it going forward.  Try one of those backups with viBoot.  In general, when backing up a disk that contains an OS, you should back up everything unless you have a specific reason for omitting it, such as a Data partition that you manually created for a specific purpose, rather than backing up only the partitions that you THINK are necessary.  On a UEFI system, if you ever had to restore you "OS partition only" backup onto a totally empty disk, it would not have been bootable without some extra manual work on your part.

There's also a separate section of the forum for viBoot, just for future reference.

Edited 18 June 2021 8:02 PM by jphughan
njf
njf
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
jphughan - 18 June 2021 8:01 PM
Open Reflect and in the upper-left corner, click "Create an image of the partitions necessary to back up and restore Windows".  Notice the partitions that are pre-selected.  Are you currently backing up ALL of those?  If not, do that and keep doing it going forward.  Try one of those backups with viBoot.  In general, when backing up a disk that contains an OS, you should back up everything unless you have a specific reason for omitting it, such as a Data partition that you manually created for a specific purpose, rather than backing up only the partitions that you THINK are necessary.  On a UEFI system, if you ever had to restore you "OS partition only" backup onto a totally empty disk, it would not have been bootable without some extra manual work on your part.

There's also a separate section of the forum for viBoot, just for future reference.

Thank you. It's strange. Doing what you suggested allowed me to get a Virtualbox window even though I had manually selected the same partitions before. Unfortunately, I have a different problem now but I will raise that in the viBoot section.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search