Rescue media on Windows 10 Storage Spaces cannot be accessed with v.8; how to downgrade v.8 to v.7?

Rescue media on Windows 10 Storage Spaces cannot be accessed with v.8;...
Author
KLEINHEV
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What a mess the upgrade from v.7 to v.8 is. I have two notebooks of different brands and configurations and both of them cannot use the "recommended" Windows RE Windows Image to boot. While I could fix this with the Windows PE 10 (WADK) option, there is now the main problem that on one of the machines I'm using Win Storage Space as the backup medium. With v.7 this was absolutely no problem (with the "recommended" Windows RE Windows Image) but in v.8 both images cannot access the backups.

What makes things worse is that it is impossible to downgrade the faulty v.8 back to v.7 so this has become a paid useless product.

How can I downgrade to v.7?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Not sure why you say it's impossible to downgrade.  Newer V7 releases will activate on V8 keys, so you can simply uninstall V8, download the V7 downloader agent from the link on this KB article, and reinstall V7 that way.  Although given that V7 and V8 have no changes in terms of supported WinPE/RE environments and your WinRE environment can change based on updates to Windows, not Reflect, I'm not sure that will actually solve anything.  If it does, it might be worth actually submitting a support ticket to get a resolution rather than just ranting, though.  Macrium tends to be very fast to respond to issues and to develop and deliver updates when appropriate.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Also if you used encryption on any v8 images you made, I don't think v7 will be able to restore them.  So, keep that in mind and recreate any images that v8 made that may qualify.

KLEINHEV
KLEINHEV
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
dbminter - 18 June 2021 9:32 PM
Also if you used encryption on any v8 images you made, I don't think v7 will be able to restore them.  So, keep that in mind and recreate any images that v8 made that may qualify.

v7 is able to restore v8 images. The WinPE/RE environments are not the reason for the troubles. The problem is the v8 recovery software which (1) doesn't boot (both of my computers boot into Window's recovery environment after loading Macrium's software failed, and (2) does not include required USB drivers to access the backup storage drives. Both problems do not occur on both of my machines with v7. The "ranting" at least got me the costs for upgrading from v7 to v8 returned. That's all the brilliant technical support and forum evangelists were able to achieve. Happily running v7 again and maybe thinking about upgrading to v8 after maybe 6 months...
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
The only question in your original post was how to downgrade to V7.  I answered that, and it sounds like you also got a refund.  So I don't see how you can now criticize people for a refund and a successful downgrade being "all [the people who helped you] were able to achieve".  You never actually asked for assistance getting your V8 Rescue environment working.  You never provided information about the specific release of V8 you were running, or the WinPE/RE release you were running, which would have been basic information to start troubleshooting.  And you only now mentioned USB driver issues, but even then didn't specify anything about your system that might help troubleshoot that.

Software sometimes has bugs.  If you're willing to spend time chasing them down to get them resolved, then that may be rewarding.  But it sounds like you just wanted to revert to a known good solution.  That's also a completely legitimate goal if you don't have the time or inclination to deal with troubleshooting.  But if that's what you want and you get it, then don't gripe that that's "all" that people did for you.

Edited 22 June 2021 2:40 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
KLEINHEV - 22 June 2021 2:15 PM
dbminter - 18 June 2021 9:32 PM

v7 is able to restore v8 images. The WinPE/RE environments are not the reason for the troubles. The problem is the v8 recovery software which (1) doesn't boot (both of my computers boot into Window's recovery environment after loading Macrium's software failed, and (2) does not include required USB drivers to access the backup storage drives. Both problems do not occur on both of my machines with v7. The "ranting" at least got me the costs for upgrading from v7 to v8 returned. That's all the brilliant technical support and forum evangelists were able to achieve. Happily running v7 again and maybe thinking about upgrading to v8 after maybe 6 months...

V7 has no problem with v8 images if they aren't encrypted.  Or was it password protected?  I think it was encrypted.  But, if your v8 images are encrypted, v7 can't restore them, or at least that's what I remember.  During the beta testing, v7 could restore all v8 images, but it was eventually implemented some kind of change in the encryption in v8 where the images made with them were no longer backwards compliant with v7
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search