Consolidation Works Once to Create Synthetic Full - Future Attempts Fail Due to Bad file descriptor

Consolidation Works Once to Create Synthetic Full - Future Attempts...
Author
DarWun
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After updating to Reflect v8, consolidation of incrementals to create a synthetic full File and Folder backup will only succeed once. The second and subsequent consolidation attempts fail with the following error: 

Consolidation:    Merging 'A7AB1F4E3E11D6EA-MediaStorage Backup (TV-Ended A)-01-01.mrbak' into 'A7AB1F4E3E11D6EAMediaStorage Backup (TV-Ended A)-00-00.mrbak'
Warning: Failed to load 'Q:\MediaStorage Backup (TV-Ended)\A7AB1F4E3E11D6EA-MediaStorage Backup (TV-Ended A)-01-01.mrbak' fread - Bad file descriptor
An error has occurred when reading file 'Q:\MediaStorage Backup (TV-Ended)\A7AB1F4E3E11D6EA-MediaStorage Backup (TV-Ended A)-01-01.mrbak'
Process failed
Successfully recovered from failed consolidation

This was not the case with Reflect v7. Any suggestions as to how to fix this error would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what additional information I need to provide to help troubleshoot the issue.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I've been using Synthetic Fulls with Reflect V8 since it was in beta.  That issue seems like an issue specific to that one file.  Is this reproducible, i.e. have you created a completely new Full backup and tested what happens when consolidations are attempted into that Full?  Judging by the "01-01" at the end of the Incremental involved in that particular consolidation, it appears that consolidation into that specific Full hasn't succeeded even once.  If it had, the oldest remaining Incremental would have been 02-02.  So this log appears to the first attempt to consolidation operation that has been attempted for that set.  Note that in some cases, the set where you create a new backup is not the same set where a consolidation occurs.

DarWun
DarWun
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Thanks jphughan. This error has occurred on multiple File and Folder Backups. It is 100% reproducible on my system. It first occurred with the backups that were carried over from v7. So I deleted them and setup new backup tasks. I thought that fixed the issue, as the first consolidation happened as expected. But then the second, and every subsequent one, failed.

The backup scheme is 1 full followed by one incremental. On the next backup after the first incremental, the incremental is to be consolidated with the full and a new incremental is to be created if necessary. The "01-01" at the end of the incremental is due to the fact that the there were no files to be added to the backup after the first consolidation. In the subsequent backup, a new incremental was created as "01-01". The next backup attempted to consolidate that backup with the full, and the error occurred.

I created a smaller test backup to troubleshoot with. Behavior was the same. 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Wow, very strange.  But if you've got 100% reproducibility in a test backup scenario, I'd suggest submitting a formal support ticket with Macrium.  That should allow them to identify underlying cause pretty quickly.  And in fact if you can create this problem while backing up arbitrary data, i.e. data where there are no privacy concerns, then it might even be worth providing them the actual backup MRBAK files where consolidation fails so they can analyze them.  And if the issue turns out to be a bug, chances are high that a fix will arrive very shortly thereafter, based on Macrium's history.

DarWun
DarWun
Ticket submitted. A bit of a frustrating process to be honest. I had assumed I would be able to post in the forums and submit a ticket using my account login created to purchase the software. No such luck. I had to register as a new user to post in the forum, and again to submit a ticket. This resulted in me resetting passwords on accounts several times as I just assumed my inability to login was a result of a misremembered password. Not sure what my password is for anything Macrium related at this point ;-)

I'll post back if Macrium's response to my ticket sheds light on how to resolve the issue.
DarWun
DarWun
Support asked me to run consolidate.exe from the Reflect 8 install, and the one from Reflect 7.2. Consolidation with the former failed, whereas consolidation with the latter was successful.
Following some additional testing on my own, I've found that the consolidation issue I originally posted about only seems to occur if incrementals to keep is set to one. If set to two or more, consolidation is completed as required without an error.
I'll post back on additional feedback I receive from support.
Edited 16 June 2021 12:49 AM by DarWun
DarWun
DarWun
Final update. Support sent me an updated consolidation.exe file to test. With it, consolidation for the problem backup completed without an error. The next update for Reflect 8 will include the updated consolidation tool.

I'll close this off by saying that the support I received from Macrium to resolve this was excellent...very impressed.  
DarWun
DarWun
Update went live today. I can confirm that the issue I started this thread for has been addressed.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search