Site Manager / Agent v8 unreliable connection

Author
DAVe3283
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For some background, I have been running Macrium Site Manager (MSM) v7 for a long time, and it has generally been very reliable. I have a setup with a couple remote sites over a VPN, and some local computers at the main stie. With MSM v7 & the v7 agents, they worked great 95% of the time, with once in a while one of the agents on the WAN would drop the connection to MSM (but continue to run the backup just fine).

Now that I have upgraded everything to v8, having a backup work correctly is now the fluke. Every computer on the WAN will drop connectin every backup, and now I am seeing computers on the same LAN drop!! For example, the computer REAPER-3900X is on a 10Gbps link to the Macrium Site Manager server and the storage repository for the backup. Yet it "timed out launching Agent" according to MSM (only to report the backup was successful a few minutes later):

You can also see the spew of errors from computers on the WAN. I suspect this is the same root issue as this post: https://forum.macrium.com/48093/Site-Manager-v805934-Constantly-dropping-connection

This is causing 2 major problems:
1. When MSM loses connection with an agent, it starts another backup. I have a rule of 1 backup at a time to avoid slamming the VPN link to the remote sites, but now I will have 2 or even 3 backups running at a remote site at a time, saturating their internet connection.
2. The constant barrage of errors makes it hard to know when something actually goes wrong.

I am currently running MSM 8.0.5973, but this behavior has occurred on every version of v8 since launch.

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (395 reputation)Macrium Representative (395 reputation)Macrium Representative (395 reputation)Macrium Representative (395 reputation)Macrium Representative (395 reputation)Macrium Representative (395 reputation)Macrium Representative (395 reputation)Macrium Representative (395 reputation)Macrium Representative (395 reputation)Macrium Representative (395 reputation)
Group: Moderators
DAVe3283 - 13 June 2021 3:50 PM
For some background, I have been running Macrium Site Manager (MSM) v7 for a long time, and it has generally been very reliable. I have a setup with a couple remote sites over a VPN, and some local computers at the main stie. With MSM v7 & the v7 agents, they worked great 95% of the time, with once in a while one of the agents on the WAN would drop the connection to MSM (but continue to run the backup just fine).

Now that I have upgraded everything to v8, having a backup work correctly is now the fluke. Every computer on the WAN will drop connectin every backup, and now I am seeing computers on the same LAN drop!! For example, the computer REAPER-3900X is on a 10Gbps link to the Macrium Site Manager server and the storage repository for the backup. Yet it "timed out launching Agent" according to MSM (only to report the backup was successful a few minutes later):

You can also see the spew of errors from computers on the WAN. I suspect this is the same root issue as this post: https://forum.macrium.com/48093/Site-Manager-v805934-Constantly-dropping-connection

This is causing 2 major problems:
1. When MSM loses connection with an agent, it starts another backup. I have a rule of 1 backup at a time to avoid slamming the VPN link to the remote sites, but now I will have 2 or even 3 backups running at a remote site at a time, saturating their internet connection.
2. The constant barrage of errors makes it hard to know when something actually goes wrong.

I am currently running MSM 8.0.5973, but this behavior has occurred on every version of v8 since launch.

Hi,

As you've correctly diagnosed, something is causing disconnections of the agent - there are some network-level things that can cause this, but if the same config worked with Site Manager 7, then it's likely that it's a bug somewhere since there have been no major changes to the Site Manager -> Agent comms protocol between 7 and 8. 

It's likely that the log files on the Agent computer have some useful information here - could you open a support ticket at https://macrium.com/support so one of our support team can transfer them? If you include a  link to this forum post in the ticket, we can make sure it gets the appropriate attention. If you've already raised a support ticket, you can PM me the ticket number and I'll see if I can follow up on it.

One option that may work is to revert your Agent to running the version 7 agent temporarily. Our support team can assist with getting and installing the V7 agent.

Kind regards,
Alex,
Macrium Development.

DAVe3283
DAVe3283
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Support ticket created.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search