Macrium Task Scheduler vs Windows Scheduler

Author
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently upgraded to v8.0.5693 (from7.3.x) and running on Windows 10 PCs.

I recall that when (I believe) the first 7.3 version was released, there was an option to switch from using the Windows Scheduler to the Macrium Scheduler. In looking at the default schedule settings in v8, I've got the Macrium Task Scheduler set in the dropdown, but near the bottom of the window (just about the user field) "use Windows SYSTEM account to run scheduled tasks" is checked.

Will that use the Windows Scheduler? And if not, why is it checked? And should it be checked if I want to use the Macriium Scheduler? I don't see any schedules set in Windows Task Scheduler.

Thanks.

capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
Reflect will use whichever scheduler you have selected in the drop-down box.  The SYSTEM account is selected by default and, I believe, that is so a password is not needed to start the backup.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1889
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.10

phred
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)

capair45 - 13 June 2021 12:12 PM
Reflect will use whichever scheduler you have selected in the drop-down box.  The SYSTEM account is selected by default and, I believe, that is so a password is not needed to start the backup.

Thanks. That makes perfect sense.
capair45
capair45
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
You're welcome

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1889
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6867
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.10

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
The scheduling engine used for starting scheduled backups and the user account under which scheduled backups run are two different things.  The ability to use the SYSTEM account was introduced for V7.  Prior to that, you had to use a "real" user account, which meant that if you ever changed the password of your account, scheduled backups would break until you remembered to update Reflect.  Or you had to avoid that by creating an account dedicated to Reflect backups.  However, the SYSTEM account has no implicit network access, and in some cases it can be convenient to run the backup as an account that already has access to network resources rather than configuring network logon credentials in Reflect.  That's especially true if you're trying to use Reflect to make backups of data that on the network, rather than just backing up TO the network, since Reflect only uses its stored credentials to access destinations.  Using Windows accounts to gain network access is more common in Active Directory environments, but it can also be used if you have a NAS and make sure it has a user account with the same username and password as your Windows account.

phred
phred
Talented Member

jphughan - 13 June 2021 2:15 PM
The scheduling engine used for starting scheduled backups and the user account under which scheduled backups run are two different things.  The ability to use the SYSTEM account was introduced for V7.  Prior to that, you had to use a "real" user account, which meant that if you ever changed the password of your account, scheduled backups would break until you remembered to update Reflect.  Or you had to avoid that by creating an account dedicated to Reflect backups.  However, the SYSTEM account has no implicit network access, and in some cases it can be convenient to run the backup as an account that already has access to network resources rather than configuring network logon credentials in Reflect.  That's especially true if you're trying to use Reflect to make backups of data that on the network, rather than just backing up TO the network, since Reflect only uses its stored credentials to access destinations.  Using Windows accounts to gain network access is more common in Active Directory environments, but it can also be used if you have a NAS and make sure it has a user account with the same username and password as your Windows account.

Yet another great JP explanation. Thank you.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search