Disable "ribbon" in Definition Files sub tab

Author
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I can not find a way to disable the new "ribbon" in the Create Backups -> Definition Files area.  This "ribbon" takes up a lot of space for duplicated commands and it forces me to increase the size of my Reflect window to be able to navigate comfortably.

I am not referring to the toolbar which can be disabled in the View menu, the commands in the "ribbon" I'm referring to show open/add/edit/delete/run etc.  I don't recall in v7 if these items weren't in this window or if they were just smaller, maybe?

If there is not a way to disable this (and I've just missed it) my wish list item would be to have a way to disable this ribbon, as you can do in MS Office applications for instance.  I have noticed this type of very large "ribbon" is also apparent on other screens as well - such as in the Logs tab, for instance
Edited 13 June 2021 3:14 AM by Gork
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
That button bar was there in V7, but the buttons were smaller, partially because they didn't have text labels below them -- which caused more than a few people not to realize what the buttons did.  I've lost track of how many people I've told that the green and white plus icon was the button to import a definition file.

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
What you've said brings back the fact to me. But can't you just right click? Or use an option in the menu? For those of us who don't need a comically oversized button bar to guide us to everlasting light the real estate used is incredibly large. It's seriously nearly to the point between this and the new logs interface that I have to digress to full screen mode and only be able to interact with one application window at a time on my PC. Perhaps the minuscule 1600x1480 resolution on my monitor is something developers don't believe exists anymore. And am I the only one left who only uses a single monitor?

I try to present my wish with humor, but it has gotten a little silly the amount of GUI real estate that is used. And wasted.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I'm not arguing against an option to collapse the button bar, but a) having multiple ways to accomplish things is typically seen as good UI design rather than expecting users to find the desired functionality in the one place you thought would be best to put it, b) the fact that the larger button bar at the top of the application can now be collpased means you should be ahead on real estate compared to V7, not behind, c) the new button bar under Definition Files is maybe twice as tall as the old one, and the only items below it in the UI are a list of definition files and a viewer of either the selected file's options or its XML, and given that relatively few users will have tons of definition files, or spend much time staring at the options pane, or read the XML probably ever, I don't really see how a taller button bar became the straw that broke the camel's back here.

Gork
Gork
Guru
I believe the larger button bar could be collapsed in v7 as well. As for the comparisons of what will fit in the window it's very simple for me. With the same size window I see a lot less info, however you look at it, and have to keep maximizing the GUI while navigating through various aspects. Before I could see all six of my XML files, now I can see two - for instance.

No straw, no camels, just a wish.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, well just as a workaround for now -- or for longer than now if this doesn't change -- are you aware you can drag DOWN the top of the Image Options/XML View pane to see more definition files that way?

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)
jphughan - 13 June 2021 7:37 AM
That button bar was there in V7, but the buttons were smaller, partially because they didn't have text labels below them -- which caused more than a few people not to realize what the buttons did.  I've lost track of how many people I've told that the green and white plus icon was the button to import a definition file.
Another option for the "button bar", then, would be to eliminate the icons altogether.  I don't think they add anything that the labels don't already provide; they just waste space.  (I have that same complaint for any product using ribbons.)

Gork
Gork
Guru
jphughan - 13 June 2021 6:25 PM
Ok, well just as a workaround for now -- or for longer than now if this doesn't change -- are you aware you can drag DOWN the top of the Image Options/XML View pane to see more definition files that way?

No, I hadn't noticed that - so thanks.

As an aside, I really like what they've done with the icons in the various "ribbon type places," they look much more clean and professional than they once did.  It's just all so real estate intensive now is all.  I dunno, maybe an eloquent method would be to have a "pro" and a "standard" GUI interface setting that could be chosen by the user.  But, when you say "if this doesn't change" I tend to think this wouldn't be much of a priority.  It is a small wish in the realm of things.  My bigger wish is to be able to use saved images with VMware Workstation.  Wink  But that's already on the wish list many times over.

{Placeholder} for something else I wanted to share but forgot.  Wink  I do this a lot then have to come back and edit or add another comment if it's been too long.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Funny that you mention liking the new icons. I do too, but multiple users here have griped about them, not always politely, and requested a way to return to the V7 look. Sometimes you just can’t win.

viBoot just gained VirtualBox support, so that’s something. Given that VirtualBox and VMware Workstation are both Tier 2 hypervisor that run ON the host OS rather than under it as Hyper-V does (thus making it Tier 1), is it not possible to switch between VirtualBox and VMware at will without restarting?
Gork
Gork
Guru
Yeah I've read a few other posts where people have said they don't like the new icons.

I did notice that viBoot gained VirtualBox support.  When I first read that another hypervisor was being added I was SO HOPING it would be VMware!  I'm not sure if I could install VirtualBox and VMware and switch between them without restarting the PC but I would assume you're correct.  However, I don't want to install VirtualBox and run it alongside VMware, so I haven't tried.  I've just been patiently hoping that VMware support is added to viBoot.

As an aside, perhaps a year ago VMware got with MS and made some updates to their latest software (at least Workstation) to make it work alongside Hyper-V.  So, as long as you have a newer CPU and Workstation version you can run Workstation with Hyper-V enabled.  I can do this on my laptop, but I'm afraid my PC is 12 years old and the CPU in that bad boy won't even run the last version of VMware Workstation that I purchased, let alone alongside Hyper-V.  I need a new PC.  But $$$...
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search