Manual Verification and device "locking" question

Author
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
During a partition backup, if you have Verify enabled to be performed automatically, the target device cannot be "used" while the Verify is performing.  Macrium tech support told me years ago this is by design.  Verify takes control of the device where the Verify is being performed on and locks it for apparently exclusive access to reduce the amount of time the device is in use because Verify is apparently a very intensive read operation.  My question is, does this apply to manual Verifies performed by Reflect?

I ask because I performed a test with a manual Verify running on today's daily backup image.  During the backup this morning, at each Verify stage, since I have file splitting enabled, my USB HDD, the target device, was unable to be used.  My web browsers and my e-mail client were "locked up" waiting for access to the device because my USB HDD is also where I store my web browsers and e-mail client profiles.  This has been the case for years every day and prompted me to ask about this behavior before, hence the answer from Macrium tech support.  During the manual Verify I performed on today's backup set, the USB HDD being locked for exclusive access during the Verify does NOT appear to be the case.  I was able to freely use my e-mail and web browser clients while the manual Verify was running.  I just wanted a definite answer from tech support or someone who would know if this is actually the case or not.

If this is the case, I think I'll remove the automatic Verify from my backups.  I will perform a manual Verify on each backup every day at 11 AM when I have a Microsoft Task Scheduler scheduled task to open the Reflect main interface so I can check the day's backup logs.  I'll retrain myself Smile to do both the log checks and the manual Verify operations every day at 11 AM.

Thanks!

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
dbminter - 11 June 2021 6:35 PM
During a partition backup, if you have Verify enabled to be performed automatically, the target device cannot be "used" while the Verify is performing.  Macrium tech support told me years ago this is by design.  Verify takes control of the device where the Verify is being performed on and locks it for apparently exclusive access to reduce the amount of time the device is in use because Verify is apparently a very intensive read operation.  My question is, does this apply to manual Verifies performed by Reflect?

I ask because I performed a test with a manual Verify running on today's daily backup image.  During the backup this morning, at each Verify stage, since I have file splitting enabled, my USB HDD, the target device, was unable to be used.  My web browsers and my e-mail client were "locked up" waiting for access to the device because my USB HDD is also where I store my web browsers and e-mail client profiles.  This has been the case for years every day and prompted me to ask about this behavior before, hence the answer from Macrium tech support.  During the manual Verify I performed on today's backup set, the USB HDD being locked for exclusive access during the Verify does NOT appear to be the case.  I was able to freely use my e-mail and web browser clients while the manual Verify was running.  I just wanted a definite answer from tech support or someone who would know if this is actually the case or not.

If this is the case, I think I'll remove the automatic Verify from my backups.  I will perform a manual Verify on each backup every day at 11 AM when I have a Microsoft Task Scheduler scheduled task to open the Reflect main interface so I can check the day's backup logs.  I'll retrain myself Smile to do both the log checks and the manual Verify operations every day at 11 AM.

Thanks!

Thanks for the post.

if you have Verify enabled to be performed automatically, the target device cannot be "used" while the Verify is performing.

That's not correct. The file being verified is, necessarily, opened for exclusive read, but the drive itself isn't locked and can be fully accessed. The speed of a mechanical disk may be noticeably affected, but this really depends on the speed of the disk and the interface.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Yes, I knew I wasn't using the correct terminology, but I wasn't certain what I should have used.  That's why I said "used."  The drive isn't locked, as you say, because when the write portions are occurring, the drive can be used.  But, during the Verify portion, my web browser and e-mail clients go into a sort of Not Responding mode waiting for the Verifies to complete.  However, this is only on scheduled backups.  During the manual Verifies of the same files, the "Not Responding" actions don't occur.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search