WINRETOOLS partition given a drive letter in Rescue Media but not in File Explorer in Windows 10...

WINRETOOLS partition given a drive letter in Rescue Media but not in...
Author
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In File Explorer when I'm running Windows, the WINRETOOLS partition is not visible; it has no drive letter.  In Disk Management, it also has no drive letter.  However, when booting Reflect Rescue Media, WINRETOOLS is given a drive letter.

My SSD on which WINRETOOLS resides has 2 additional hidden partitions.  Image and DELLSUPPORT, which appear to be Dell factory default partitions for reinstall and diagnostic purposes.  These partitions also do not have a drive letter in File Explorer/Disk Management.  However, unlike WINRETOOLS, in Reflect Rescue Media, these 2 partitions are not visible and don't have drive letters.

Is this expected behavior?  If not, why would WINRETOOLS be the one partition behaving like this?

Thanks!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)
If memory serves, you muck around with your partitions using various third-party tools quite a bit, so I'm not sure I have any hope of accounting for the behavior.  But I will say that in a default Windows installation, a standard WinRE partition configuration involves first creating a regular/primary partition, formatting it as NTFS, and then running these diskpart commands depending on whether you've got an MBR or GPT disk:

MBR
set id=27

GPT
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001

But if you've potentially altered partition information since then, I'm not sure what would happen.  And even getting back to baseline might be tricky given that an image backup would include whatever is already there and a file-level backup and restore might not back up or restore the correct NTFS permissions.  If you really wanted to go back to baseline, you'd have to get the WinRE.wim file off that partition, delete it, recreate it, and then copy the WIM file back and use ReagentC to set up that partition as your Windows Recovery partition again.  But I'm not sure that's worth the effort.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)
The only thing I did with WINRETOOLS was I was asked by AOMEI to unhide it so I could send them a copy of my WinRE.WIM file to troubleshoot a WinPE issue I had with Partition Assistant.  However, I used Disk Management to give WINRETOOLS a drive letter.  I've begun only using Partition Assistant as needed for dynamically resizing partitions.  Given what happened during the v8 beta testing, I switched to Disk Management whenever possible.  I then removed the drive letter on WINRETOOLS with Disk Management.  I have since then restored down WINRETOOLS from a backup of all partitions necessary to restore Windows due the issues I was encountering with WinPE in Partition Assistant, WinRE problems that had popped up with the last Reflect update on my system, and my 20H2 partition, which updated fine to 21H1 TWICE in the past now won't update except by deleting all files and settings.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search