Should I Convert PE10 to RE

Author
CraigS26
Talented Member
Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Have recently made my first V8 Restore (6+ minutes  35 GB) using long-time PE10 --- but the Macrium Blog article below shows Macrium (generally) Prefers Win RE to PE for Rescue.
I Manually make Weekly Separate Fulls of SSD OS - AND - HDD Data - ea with about 3 Incr /week .... the published Benefits of PE & RE don't really tell me Which One is better for me.
Does the Better PE Driver Sppt mean that -- Without it -- I may have to -- Look for Drivers -- AFTER Each RE Restore?
And, I'm wondering IF (with RE) the -- lack of Updating what I think is the 900 MB Dnload for PE--  is Relevant At All for SSD life-spans.
SSD space ( 169 GB FREE of 237) is Not an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.
P.S. ... FYI Only.....I just Updated to 5963 BUT the Configure Updates - Skip latest offering box - has never worked for me - still pops-up.

https://blog.macrium.com/what-are-the-differences-between-winre-and-winpe-and-which-one-should-i-use-63175331f15

Macrium V8.0.5963 - WIN 10 Pro 21H1 - ESET EIS Prem - Mbam Prem - Diskeeper Pro '15 -

Edited 9 June 2021 3:56 PM by CraigS26
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)
WinRE is the only way to get WiFi support, so if you need that, then that's your answer.  Otherwise....

WinRE can be convenient because it doesn't require a download and having to store that download going forward.  It also ensures that your Rescue Media uses the same Windows kernel as your main OS, which means if any additional drivers are needed, the drivers installed in the host OS will be usable by the Windows kernel used by Rescue Media, which makes things easier for less experienced users.  (On the other hand if you're using an old version of Windows, using a newer kernel for Rescue Media might avoid the need to add drivers in the first place.)  WinRE also usually gets updated to newer Windows kernels as Windows itself gets updated, although the current WinPE/RE release is 10 2004, since 20H2 and 21H1 did not include a WinPE/RE kernel update.  That can mean that you have a broader library of built-in driver support, which might be useful especially if you ever need to use that Rescue Media on a different PC, possibly unexpectedly.  But updates can be a double-edged sword.  The initial release of Win10 1809 before Microsoft recalled it contained a WinPE/RE bug that broke Reflect Rescue's automatic driver loading at startup, even though manually loading those drivers still worked.  The re-release fixed that, but people who updated to Win10 1809 early and were using WinRE for Rescue Media found that their Rescue Media didn't work properly anymore.  By comparison, WinPE 10 always uses the specific release specified by Macrium (currently 10 1709), so that type of issue would not occur.

I personally use WinPE 10 because I have no need for WiFi, I have ample storage to cache the download, and I specifically do NOT want my Rescue Media to be built on a shifting "foundation".  I would prefer to use one that Macrium has tested and that will not change simply because I updated Windows.

The choice of WinPE vs. WinRE would not affect what happens to your system after you perform a restore.  It's just the OS that Reflect Rescue runs on, and once you're not running it anymore, then it's not part of the picture anymore.  The driver support has nothing to do with drivers for your installed Windows environment, but rather drivers necessary to see your hardware while the Rescue environment itself is running.

As for SSD lifespan, first of all the WinPE package doesn't get updated constantly.  It gets downloaded once does not get updated afterward.  The exception would be if Macrium updated Reflect to have WinPE 10 use a newer release than 1709, in which case you'd have to download that new release once, and then that wouldn't get updated either.  But as a point of reference, my Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB SSD is rated for 600 TBW (terabytes written).  I've used it as the sole internal storage in my everyday laptop, and after 18 months of use, Samsung Magician says I've written 12 TB to it over its lifetime.  So at this rate, my SSD will last me 75 years.  Even if you had a lower capacity model that has a lower endurance rating due to having fewer cells to use for wear leveling, I would say there's still plenty of headroom.

Edited 9 June 2021 4:50 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)
There may be another consideration to go with WinRE over WinPE.  If you've tried WinPE and have monitor resolution problems, switching to WinRE might fix them.  I switched from PE to RE a while back for that reason.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)
^ Good point. Since the WinRE partition gets customized by Windows itself on individual systems, even beyond getting updated with Win10 releases, it may have a different set of drivers pre-loaded. My WinRE has my system’s touchpad drivers baked in, for example. But that can go both ways. Dbminter’s experience is certainly valid, but I’ve helped people who had problematic WinRE builds and found that switching to WinPE solved the issue.
CraigS26
CraigS26
Talented Member
Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)
So PE10 it is ....
JPH
, I'm really appreciative of your knowledge & this explanation.
@dbminter, I saw that issue but have none with my HP desktop.......

A last favor.... CrystalDiskInfo Wrongly shows -- I've used 1.4 mil TB -- since Feb 2019.
My Spec Sheet for -- Micron Acadia 228 GB M.2 -- SSD in HP desktop .... shows 120 TB TBW Life..

Do either of you know an App that's Not 100 MB dnload I might get an accurate Use Nbr with.
Ready, though, with V8 should Armageddon strike.
Thanks again to you both .........

Macrium V8.0.5963 - WIN 10 Pro 21H1 - ESET EIS Prem - Mbam Prem - Diskeeper Pro '15 -

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Happy to help!  CrystalDiskInfo shows 1.4 million TB??  So 1.4 exabytes?  That does sound....implausible. Smile  If I had to guess, maybe your SSD tracks write activity using some counter format that isn't being properly converted by CrystalDiskInfo.  I don't know of any apps to check this metric other than vendor-specific utilities, but I also haven't spent any time looking for them, so they may well exist.

CraigS26
CraigS26
Talented Member
Not surprised about another App as my early Searches were pretty futile outside of  Paid Apps I didn't pursue.
Thanks again.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)
Yes, 1.4 million TB stood out to me, too, as a rather exorbitant value.

Dypsis
Dypsis
Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)
I've read so many WinRE vs WinPE discussions over the years, and I'm still not sure what's best.
I guess in the end, whatever works for you. I think it would be unlikely for either to fail.

I usually use WinRE, but I make UFDs for both WinRE and WinPE.

This Macrium Blog advises most users to use WinRE, but it does mention that it may not always be the right option.

Edited 13 June 2021 3:29 AM by Dypsis
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search