What/Where Is this: "C:\boot\macrium" Folder?

Author
Homer712
Talented Member
Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have seen in a number of posts here, the mention of this "C:\boot\macrium" folder. I don't have one (and yes, I have "show hidden files/folders selected). I am on V8.0.5963, have successfully created a Rescue USB (Windows RE 10, Release 2004 64bit) and have a Macrium Reflect Boot menu when the laptop first starts that successfully boots to Reflect. My daily image and file/folder backups (via batch file) all work perfectly and I am logging no errors in any of the Reflect logs. I run Defender and Malwarebytes for antivirus and nothing else so I haven't encountered some of the Bit Defender issues posted here elsewhere and I do not run any type of "clean up" programs.

So the question is, what Reflect process creates this "C:\boot\macrium" folder and should it really be there on my laptop.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)
I realize you're not running BitDefender, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of some other solution doing the same thing it did, which apparently was to hide it in Explorer and even lock down its folder permissions.  Try just typing C:\boot\Macrium into the breadcrumb bar in Explorer (which becomes a text field if you click in the white space to the right of the last folder in the breadcrumb trail).  On my own systems that all run only Windows Defender, the Boot folder is just a regular folder right there on the C drive, not hidden and not locked down with any special permissions.

Homer712
Homer712
Talented Member
Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)Talented Member (131 reputation)
Well I'll be . . . showed up as soon as I typed in "boot." Still doesn't show up in the regular Explorer menu, so I guess that something, somewhere is causing it to be hidden. At least I no longer feel left out Smile

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
I have to uncheck the option "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" in File Explorer options to be able to see the folder.  This is a different option than the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" option.
Edited 15 June 2021 3:28 AM by Gork
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)
Gork - 15 June 2021 3:27 AM
I have to uncheck the option "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" in File Explorer options to be able to see the folder.  This is a different option than the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" option.

That's not the default setup.  In order for content to require "Hide protected operating system files" to be disabled in order to be seen, it has to be set as both System and Hidden.  Neither of those attributes are standard for Reflect's C:\boot folder.  So if you want to remove those attributes, open an elevated Command Prompt and run:

attrib -s -h C:\boot

However, given that Reflect didn't cause that folder to appear the way it does on your PC now, just fixing it won't guarantee that something else won't come along and set it back to the way you have it now.  Or I suppose that something else might even prevent you from running the above command against that folder at all.

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
I see the empty C:\boot folder now and well as the not empty E:\boot folder where I long ago switched Reflect to keep it.  I'm not sure why I couldn't see it before, but it SEEMS like I couldn't see the folders, changed the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" to unchecked and saw the folders, then changed this option back to checked and can still see them.  I'm sure I just missed something along the way and the folders were actually present and viewable the entire time.  ??  I'm not sure.  I am at work and it's been crazy busy, though.  Wink
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search