Image a NAS network Drive

Author
RossL
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is there a way to Image a NAS Drive. The NAS drive is not present in the list of drives that can be imaged?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)
No, because an image backup is a block-level operation, and NAS devices do not grant block-level access to network clients.  That would be impractical to do in a multi-access environment because uncoordinated block-level activity by different hosts could end up corrupting data.  SAN devices grant block-level access to storage over the network, but they operate in a fundamentally different way, and if you want multiple hosts to have access to the same SAN storage resource, typically the hosts themselves need to be set up as a cluster so they coordinate their activities.

iwj2017
iwj2017
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
The Only Way i have succesfully backed up NAS Drive Data (was using file and folder backup and selecting the target folders (using the unc path)

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
So you'd use Reflect's files/folders backup option instead.
iwj2017
iwj2017
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
correct - it creates a file folder image of any/all nas shares - ive used it a couple of times and been happy with the results
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
iwj2017 - 10 June 2021 6:18 AM
correct - it creates a file folder image of any/all nas shares - ive used it a couple of times and been happy with the results

Oh, sorry - kind of a cross post.  I replied to a thread in a browser window I hadn't refreshed in MANY hours.  Thought I was being helpful but was only being redundant.  Oops!

I, too, have used Reflect's F/F option to back up NAS data and it worked well.
Edited 10 June 2021 6:24 AM by Gork
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search