Windows 10 error log: mrcbt error ID 2008

Author
Auge133
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

now I am embarresed because the problem exist for years but I never thought it could be a problem of Macrium Reflect with external hard drives. I even bought a new HD last October and the same problem occurs again.

I found an explaination in this thread "Several mrcbt errors after updating to reflect v7.2.4808" but IMHO the answer does not suffice!
As you see in this screen shot, after reboot (at about 14:11 h/ 02.11 pm) and NOT disconnecting the external HD the error occurs every view seconds.

That's not how it should work because why would I need to remove and reattach the HD after booting Windows in order to work decent? And I really don't see why the MRCBT has such problems. Please remember, the same problem occured with my former HD a WD Touro 4 TB (now a Seagate Backup Plus HUB 8 TB). I was a software developer for more than 20 years and I really do not understand why it so difficult to investigate that bug.

Frowning greetings
Reiner

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (360 reputation)Macrium Representative (360 reputation)Macrium Representative (360 reputation)Macrium Representative (360 reputation)Macrium Representative (360 reputation)Macrium Representative (360 reputation)Macrium Representative (360 reputation)Macrium Representative (360 reputation)Macrium Representative (360 reputation)Macrium Representative (360 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi @Auge133

Thank you for your post and sorry that you are having problems.

That event is generated when CBT is invoked by Windows when a volume device is mounted.

The message in the screenshot shows that the volume device name is \Device\HarddiskVolume44. This indicates that this was the 44th volume added since Windows restarted.

Based on previous experience and unless you genuinely have such a large number of volumes or you are regularly removing and inserting USB storage devices, I would suspect a faulty USB port, cable or hub is causing Windows to have an intermittent connection to that device.

There is also the possibility that third-party software is triggering this behaviour, but this is not something we have seen before.

Please could you open a support ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com (referencing this post) so that we can collect some more information?

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

Auge133
Auge133
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)

JamieW - 8 June 2021 4:05 PM
Hi @Auge133

Thank you for your post and sorry that you are having problems.

That event is generated when CBT is invoked by Windows when a volume device is mounted.

The message in the screenshot shows that the volume device name is \Device\HarddiskVolume44. This indicates that this was the 44th volume added since Windows restarted.

Based on previous experience and unless you genuinely have such a large number of volumes or you are regularly removing and inserting USB storage devices, I would suspect a faulty USB port, cable or hub is causing Windows to have an intermittent connection to that device.

There is also the possibility that third-party software is triggering this behaviour, but this is not something we have seen before.

Please could you open a support ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com (referencing this post) so that we can collect some more information?

I will open a support ticket because as a hint: as beginning of end of May to beginning of June my HP OMEN notebook was at the repair center of HP in Hungary and they replaced the main board and the NVIDIA Geforce graphics card. Still the problem is there. I even reinstalled Windows from scratch by the end of last year (but not because of the problem above Wink ) without installing each single software again. I cut back on that because I do not develop software anymore.

Auge133
Auge133
So after a huge amount of time and investigation it seems that the problem is neither Macrium Relect nor the external Seagate hard drive but my HP OMEN notebook itself.
Even if it was just at the Hungary repair center of HP and got a new main board there is still something wrong. Not just the Windows Explorer freezes every other hour but if I connect the external HD to my "UtechSmart Triple Display 12 in 1 USB C Adapter (Docking Station, USB C Hub) mit 2 HDMI,1 DisplayPort, Typ C PD, 4 USB Ports, Gigablit Ethernet, SD/TF Kartenleser" (just got a long enough USB cable today) instead directly to the notebook the drive is stable. No sudden disconnect and reconnet of it.

The really bad downside of it? It must be send to the HP repair center again and I'll have not computer for up to 14 (!) days! Sad

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search