Locked in files - can't delete

Author
RXT1885
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I was running a Macrium backup and the system crashed. Three files had been created: and *.mrimg file, an mrimg.tmp file, and a 0 byte backup_running file. I can't delete them, getting the error "'Windows error=32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.". I've even uninstalled Reflect in the hope that that was the process locking the files. How do I delete them???
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)
Try something called Unlocker from IOBit.  It's what I use whenever Windows has a lock on a file and won't let me delete it.

RXT1885
RXT1885
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Unfortunately, that doesn't work -- it can't unlock, offers to delete, then freezes
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)
Did you try deleting the file in Safe Mode?  Or, try booting Reflect Rescue Media from a flash drive/optical drive.  NOT the boot menu option.  Then try deleting the file from the Rescue Media.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
RXT1885 - 8 June 2021 11:37 AM
I was running a Macrium backup and the system crashed. Three files had been created: and *.mrimg file, an mrimg.tmp file, and a 0 byte backup_running file. I can't delete them, getting the error "'Windows error=32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.". I've even uninstalled Reflect in the hope that that was the process locking the files. How do I delete them???

Thanks for the post. 

A reboot will clear all stale locks on the system. If you've rebooted, and still can't delete, then the locks are coming from a different PC.  

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

RXT1885
RXT1885
Nick, I really am perplexed. I've uninstalled Reflect, rebooted, and rebooted into Safe Mode -- and nothing has worked. Could the problem be that they're on a shared NASD drive? If so, is there **any** solution? I would imagine this kind of problem has occurred before.
Edited 8 June 2021 4:21 PM by RXT1885
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
RXT1885 - 8 June 2021 4:20 PM
Nick, I really am perplexed. I've uninstalled Reflect, rebooted, and rebooted into Safe Mode -- and nothing has worked. Could the problem be that they're on a shared NASD drive? If so, is there **any** solution? I would imagine this kind of problem has occurred before.

Thanks for getting back. It's either another PC on the network or the NAS itself. Rebooting the NAS will definitely cure it.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search