Allow Site Manager PC to perform verification for scheduled backup of remote PC ?

Allow Site Manager PC to perform verification for scheduled backup of...
Author
BlackCat
Talented Member
Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When backing up a remote client via a Site Manager scheduled job, if the remote client is on a slow network link (eg WiFi) then the backup will be slow (unavoidable) but so will the verification task.  Since the Site Manager PC is likely to have a fast connection to the repository, coud the Options settings in the Backup Definition allow the ability to verify the backup automatically via the Site Manager PC, as an additional option to the current verification which takes place via the remote client? 

I know the resulting backup file can currently be verified separately on the SIte Manager after the backup job has finished.  However, it would be more convenient to be able to request it as part of the backup definition and the backup job would complete quicker and be more reliable due to the reduced dependency on the WiFi signal quality .

Thanks, BlackCat

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (390 reputation)Macrium Representative (390 reputation)Macrium Representative (390 reputation)Macrium Representative (390 reputation)Macrium Representative (390 reputation)Macrium Representative (390 reputation)Macrium Representative (390 reputation)Macrium Representative (390 reputation)Macrium Representative (390 reputation)Macrium Representative (390 reputation)
Group: Moderators
BlackCat - 6 June 2021 11:13 AM
When backing up a remote client via a Site Manager scheduled job, if the remote client is on a slow network link (eg WiFi) then the backup will be slow (unavoidable) but so will the verification task.  Since the Site Manager PC is likely to have a fast connection to the repository, coud the Options settings in the Backup Definition allow the ability to verify the backup automatically via the Site Manager PC, as an additional option to the current verification which takes place via the remote client? 

I know the resulting backup file can currently be verified separately on the SIte Manager after the backup job has finished.  However, it would be more convenient to be able to request it as part of the backup definition and the backup job would complete quicker and be more reliable due to the reduced dependency on the WiFi signal quality .

Thanks, BlackCat

Hi,

At the moment, the short answer is that this is not a supported option, but we are always looking at how we can improve our product.

Our usual advice about repositories is that they should be located close to the computers being backed up for speed of backup. If the wireless spur of the network is a relatively large one, I'd definitely recommend hosting a local repository on that spur for fast backup, possibly with a remote sync to a more central location scheduled.
However, I can see that this isn't practical in all cases, so I will pass your use case to the rest of the development team - performing the verification on the server may be a little harder to implement as the server has to implement the logic to clean up the successful backup and retry the backup. Also it may be impossible to recover the backup set at all by that point as the Agent will have already performed consolidation andretention actions.

Kind regards,
Alex,
Macrium Development.

BlackCat
BlackCat
Talented Member
Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)Talented Member (116 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Thanks, Alex.  I see how it might be a bit more complicated than I thought.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that it might appear one day for my simple-use case where consolidation isn't involved.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search