Reflect v8 not carrying filename re-naming foward with subsequent incrementals

Author
ALM4
New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My custom Backup File Name in v7 was:

"P9-Drobo C "   [computer name, destination device name, partition name]

This would automatically produce:
P9-Drobo C -00-00.mrimg
P9-Drobo C -01-01.mrimg
P9-Drobo C -02-02.mrimg

If I manually renamed the files to add a version ID "Q" in Windows File Explorer
P9-Drobo C Q-00-00.mrimg
P9-Drobo C Q-01-01.mrimg
P9-Drobo C Q-02-02.mrimg

Reflect would then automatically pick up the added "Q" and name subsequent files with the "P9-Drobo C Q" string.
P9-Drobo C Q-03-03.mrimg
P9-Drobo C Q-04-04.mrimg
P9-Drobo C Q-05-05.mrimg

That stopped as soon as I upgraded to V8 on both a laptop and desktop. Both running Win10, fully updated.

Now it reverts back to :
P9-Drobo C 06-06.mrimg
P9-Drobo C 07-07.mrimg
P9-Drobo C 08-08.mrimg

Thanks in advance for any advice

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)
Reflect V8’s file naming capabilities changed, and that may have also changed its naming logic in terms of whether it relied on existing file names to derive new ones rather than only working with what was configured in the definition file. In fact given that backups within a set can now have names that differ by more than just the digits at the end, that new design seems necessary.

I don’t see any options that might achieve the end result you had with V7, so the best I can suggest would be to put the Q into the name field within Reflect’s definition file and update it as needed there, or you might find that one of the new variables in V8 would be a suitable alternative for your purposes and therefore you wouldn’t need to make any manual edits anymore.
Edited 5 June 2021 1:24 PM by jphughan
ALM4
ALM4
New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)
jphughan - 5 June 2021 1:22 PM
Reflect V8’s file naming capabilities changed, and that may have also changed its naming logic in terms of whether it relied on existing file names to derive new ones rather than only working with what was configured in the definition file. In fact given that backups within a set can now have names that differ by more than just the digits at the end, that new design seems necessary.

I don’t see any options that might achieve the end result you had with V7, so the best I can suggest would be to put the Q into the name field within Reflect’s definition file and update it as needed there, or you might find that one of the new variables in V8 would be a suitable alternative for your purposes and therefore you wouldn’t need to make any manual edits anymore.

Hi JPHughan
Thanks for  the help, your first sentence is spot-on.   Based on experimentation, I would add that it appears that whatever character string is entered in "Backup File Name" field when the -00-00.mrimg full back up file is created is embedded permanently.    Subsequent changes of the " Backup File Name" field are ignored.

This breaks my process a bit.   I normally start a new full backup at 12:01 am on Jan and July 1st for dozen partitions, with Reflect incrementing the filenames automatically.  The work around appears to be changing the "Backup File Name" string in advance in each of the Definition Files.

You mentioned new variables in V8, are you referring to a command line input?
Thanks again.
Al

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)
There are certain settings that persist for an entire set and therefore cannot be changed without creating a new set, even if the configuration in a definition file changes.  Compression is one such setting, as is password protection/encryption.  (As of a relatively recent release of V7, changing encryption settings will cause Reflect to automatically create a new set, whereas before in some cases it would continue creating new backups within an existing set using the set's existing password -- or lack thereof.)  So based on your test results, which I have just replicated myself, it appears that the "formula" for backup file naming is indeed embedded into the Full that begins a new set.  Still, tweaking the name in the definition file doesn't seem like a lot more effort than renaming a file in Explorer, especially if you use Macrium Image Guardian, in which case renaming a file entails disabling Image Guardian first.  One inconvenience though is that you would of course have to remember to make that change BEFORE you start the new Full backup.  If you don't remember until afterward, you'll have to make another one.

The variables I was referring to are those available for use within the "Backup filename" field, which you can see by clicking the brace/curly bracket icon to the right of that field (or typing that character in the field itself).  Perhaps one of those would be a suitable substitute for your current manual tagging process?  If so, then you wouldn't have to make a manual edit prior to each Full.  The {ISODATE} variable or one of the many other date-related items available might be able to deliver the same end result that you're currently achieving with a manually incremented character.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
One further idea.  The variables I mentioned above are not guaranteed to be consistent within a set but unique between sets, which seems to be what you're trying to achieve with your letter incrementing solution.  And while the Image ID works that way, it won't guarantee that sets sorted alphabetically will also be sorted chronologically.  The only solution I know of that might work for you in that case is this registry tweak mentioned by Macrium themselves, which causes the Image ID to use the backup date of the set -- meaning the date of the original Full -- rather than the default string of characters that was created by a hash function.  That will give you something that is guaranteed to be consistent within a set, and to be distinct across sets, and will sort chronologically when sorted alphabetically.  But of course that solution involves far more characters than the single character you're currently using.  So in the end, adapting the manual process you've been using thus far to involve a definition file edit rather than a file name edit might be the preferred option

ALM4
ALM4
I agree, manually editing the definition file is my best bet, but I will keep the curly brace options in mind for the future.   I never would have seen that option if you had not pointed it out.     This is one of the things about Reflect I really appreciate - enough controls that allow you to adjust it for a better fit, without so much complexity that it becomes a barrier/burden.

Thanks also for your clear and complete explanations, just spent an hour browsing the forum on the verification process.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Happy to help.  Yes, for users accustomed to previous versions, the small curly brace button and the new "Type { for parameters" text along the left edge can be missed.  But there's always a tradeoff between making things apparent and making a mess.  And thanks for the kind words! Smile

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.8K reputation)
^ I admit, even I, well used to it in the beta testing phase, many times forget this.  Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search