Hundreds of zero length files with name that starts with "macrium_repoonline_test_{" on NAS

Author
Ken-backup
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Using local licenses in Macrium Reflect to backup to NAS.  Backups working fine.  Using site manager to monitor backups and logs, but all backups are initiated by the end points. I'm seeing hundreds of zero length files on the NAS that start with "macrium_repoonline_test_{ " followed by about a 32 digit hex number .  The modification date of the files goes back over a month with time stamps ranging from a  minute to a few minutes apart.

Does anyone know what is creating these files and not removing them?  Is there a way to stop this behavior?

Ken

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Ken-backup - 2 June 2021 8:51 PM
Using local licenses in Macrium Reflect to backup to NAS.  Backups working fine.  Using site manager to monitor backups and logs, but all backups are initiated by the end points. I'm seeing hundreds of zero length files on the NAS that start with "macrium_repoonline_test_{ " followed by about a 32 digit hex number .  The modification date of the files goes back over a month with time stamps ranging from a  minute to a few minutes apart.

Does anyone know what is creating these files and not removing them?  Is there a way to stop this behavior?

Ken

Hi Ken,

These files are created by the Site Manager's connection testing of the repository - as part of the periodic monitoring it checks that the repository is writable. The files it creates are created with a "delete on close" flag - so they should be automatically closed by the SMB server on the NAS. It might be that either the user for the repository has file create permissions but not file delete permissions, or that there's an unusual SMB server configuration that doesn't honor the flag. Either way, the files can be safely deleted.
I will also add a feature request to our system to add a manual delete of these files to the repository test, so that they get cleaned up if the mechanism we currently use fails.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Ken-backup
Ken-backup
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Alex - 2 June 2021 10:24 PM

Ken

Hi Ken,

These files are created by the Site Manager's connection testing of the repository - as part of the periodic monitoring it checks that the repository is writable. The files it creates are created with a "delete on close" flag - so they should be automatically closed by the SMB server on the NAS. It might be that either the user for the repository has file create permissions but not file delete permissions, or that there's an unusual SMB server configuration that doesn't honor the flag. Either way, the files can be safely deleted.
I will also add a feature request to our system to add a manual delete of these files to the repository test, so that they get cleaned up if the mechanism we currently use fails.

As usual Alex, you hit the nail on the head.  Login for site manager had file creation but not deletion.  

The connection testing seems too frequent.   I'm getting access log entries at an average rate of of about one per minute from site manager, is there a way to reduce this interval? I assume these are being used to update the repository state after client backups, could these updates be triggered by log activity form the clients?

Ken

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Ken-backup - 6 June 2021 9:28 PM
Alex - 2 June 2021 10:24 PM

Ken

Hi Ken,

As usual Alex, you hit the nail on the head.  Login for site manager had file creation but not deletion.  

The connection testing seems too frequent.   I'm getting access log entries at an average rate of of about one per minute from site manager, is there a way to reduce this interval? I assume these are being used to update the repository state after client backups, could these updates be triggered by log activity form the clients?

Ken

Hi Ken,
The status online checks for a repository happen at a default rate of once every 2 minutes - although this is automatically reduced if there are a lot of repositories. There is a registry key you can set on the Site Manager server to reduce these checks - this might help your issue:

Affects: Site Manager Server
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macrium\CMCAgent
Value: "RepositoryOnlineStatusMonitorFrequency"
Type: DWORD
Default: 120

the naming is a little odd as it's a key which has existed since Site Manager was Central Management Console in version 6!

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (266 reputation)Proficient Member (266 reputation)Proficient Member (266 reputation)Proficient Member (266 reputation)Proficient Member (266 reputation)Proficient Member (266 reputation)Proficient Member (266 reputation)Proficient Member (266 reputation)Proficient Member (266 reputation)Proficient Member (266 reputation)
@Alex

Is this the same issue for Reflect Home edition?

I noticed that my external drives will no longer go into standby mode and spin down once I install Reflect Home edition.
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Reflecting Mirror - 7 June 2021 5:21 PM
@Alex

Is this the same issue for Reflect Home edition?

I noticed that my external drives will no longer go into standby mode and spin down once I install Reflect Home edition.

Hi,

This issue affects the Site Manager server service only - it's unrelated to any Reflect issues

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...