Attempting to Clone from External SSD to HP Pavilion m.2 - Does not boot

Attempting to Clone from External SSD to HP Pavilion m.2 - Does not...
Author
CIC
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Using bootable Macrium Reflect - Server Edition - v7.2.4325 - Windows RE 10 Release 1809 

The External SSD I am using is called JMicron Generic 1507

I have the Intel Rapid Storage Driver on the target machine.

The issue is that I am attempting to clone from the JMicron to the internal SSD of the HP Pavilion Model 15t-eg000 as I have done many times on other machines that have an m.2 drive successfully. The clone completes after I drag my partitions, etc. However, when I boot the machine after, it boots straight to Windows Could not Repair.

I performed the same steps on an HP Elitebook 830 G6 and the laptop boots without issue right to OOBE. So I know there is not an issue with the image I am using. 

There is no BIOS setting I can find on the HP Pavilion device that would help (such as SATA mode or something).

I have even externalized the M.2 by putting t it into an m.2 to SATA adapter and cloning it using our desktop cloning machines running Macrium Reflect - Server Edition v.7.2.4971 Technicians License.

I have attached photos of my process and the failure I am experiencing. Any bits of help is greatly appreciated. I have contacted HP Tech Support and they cannot help with cloning other images.

Rootman
Rootman
Talented Member
Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)
I just did the same on a few PCs that had the new Skylake chipsets.  I managed to use redeploy and fed it the proper drivers it was looking for..  Although on these PCs I had to change the SATA controller from RAID ON to AHCI as well else I got an eternal Windows 10 spinner or a BSOD. 

Did you try redeploy?  Possible also the Fix Boot Errors tool.  I assume these are on the server version of the recovery media, they are on the Home and workstation versions. . 
CIC
CIC
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Rootman - 2 June 2021 3:43 PM
I just did the same on a few PCs that had the new Skylake chipsets.  I managed to use redeploy and fed it the proper drivers it was looking for..  Although on these PCs I had to change the SATA controller from RAID ON to AHCI as well else I got an eternal Windows 10 spinner or a BSOD. 

Did you try redeploy?  Possible also the Fix Boot Errors tool.  I assume these are on the server version of the recovery media, they are on the Home and workstation versions. . 

Unfortunately, this model does not have the option to change the SATA operation. That was the first thing I looked at doing.

I am pretty unfamiliar with the redeploy feature. Our department does not fully use the all teh features our license has.

In a nutshell, would you be able to take the time to run through that redeploy feature? I am getting desparate on getting these laptops to boot and out the door to our users.

Would appreciate it,.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (14K reputation)
ReDeploy is specifically designed to help take images that were captured on other systems and make them bootable on different hardware.  Here is Macrium's KB article about it.  If ReDeploy needs a driver that is not already present in the restored Windows environment's driver library, it will prompt you to provide it, but since ReDeploy only focuses on boot-critical drivers, if you're restoring a recent version of Windows onto fairly typical hardware, then you might not need to supply any drivers manually.  ReDeploy might just need to reconfigure the restored Windows environment to load a different set of drivers during startup compared to what it's loading now.

Rootman
Rootman
Talented Member
Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)Talented Member (146 reputation)
CIC - 2 June 2021 5:15 PM

Unfortunately, this model does not have the option to change the SATA operation. That was the first thing I looked at doing.

I am pretty unfamiliar with the redeploy feature. Our department does not fully use the all teh features our license has.

In a nutshell, would you be able to take the time to run through that redeploy feature? I am getting desparate on getting these laptops to boot and out the door to our users.

Would appreciate it,.
Boot to the recovery media on the laptops new M.2 drive, the redeploy will be in the upper left hand corner of the Existing Backups tab.  Click it and then click NEXT, see what hardware it finds and wants drivers for.  Download the drivers from your manufacturers site or if you have another model laptop that IS working use a driver backup utility to suck the drivers from it.  Now, using another PC get your drivers around and put them in a folder on some media, like the same USB stick you boot the recovery media with.   If you left the REDEPLOY dialog open use the BACK button to get back to where the ADD button is on the first Redeploy dialog. Click ADD and steer the selection tree over to where you stored the drivers. If it works then it wil find the drivers and the devices it has listed that have a red mark by them will turn green indicating it can inject the drivers. Go ahead and click OK - or whatever the positive response is -  I don't have a unit handy to actually run redeploy on.  Tell it NOT to reboot.

Head back to the Main MR interface and click the FIX WINDOWS BOOT PROBLEMS and run it.  I've never had any bad experience running this and it may help.  If it can actually see the OS it will rewrite the BDE.  

Reboot and cross your fingers.  I experimented on the same image and the same PC with the new chipset over and over  trying to get the INTEL RAID ON SATA setting to work.  ONE time it did work, and for some goofy reason I was never able to replicate it. It was then I decided to just switch the SATA controller to AHCI and it worked every time.  There is no real reason to run the RAID ON setting, it just comes  set that way by default and in the event that I have to switch the units mobo out, or even just replace the unit, I have to remember to switch to AHCI, something I am sure I will forget.  I may have had the wrong version of the Intel RST drivers or something.  I tried several sets.  

Good luck!
CIC
CIC
Rootman - 2 June 2021 6:20 PM
CIC - 2 June 2021 5:15 PM

Would appreciate it,.
Boot to the recovery media on the laptops new M.2 drive, the redeploy will be in the upper left hand corner of the Existing Backups tab.  Click it and then click NEXT, see what hardware it finds and wants drivers for.  Download the drivers from your manufacturers site or if you have another model laptop that IS working use a driver backup utility to suck the drivers from it.  Now, using another PC get your drivers around and put them in a folder on some media, like the same USB stick you boot the recovery media with.   If you left the REDEPLOY dialog open use the BACK button to get back to where the ADD button is on the first Redeploy dialog. Click ADD and steer the selection tree over to where you stored the drivers. If it works then it wil find the drivers and the devices it has listed that have a red mark by them will turn green indicating it can inject the drivers. Go ahead and click OK - or whatever the positive response is -  I don't have a unit handy to actually run redeploy on.  Tell it NOT to reboot.

Head back to the Main MR interface and click the FIX WINDOWS BOOT PROBLEMS and run it.  I've never had any bad experience running this and it may help.  If it can actually see the OS it will rewrite the BDE.  

Reboot and cross your fingers.  I experimented on the same image and the same PC with the new chipset over and over  trying to get the INTEL RAID ON SATA setting to work.  ONE time it did work, and for some goofy reason I was never able to replicate it. It was then I decided to just switch the SATA controller to AHCI and it worked every time.  There is no real reason to run the RAID ON setting, it just comes  set that way by default and in the event that I have to switch the units mobo out, or even just replace the unit, I have to remember to switch to AHCI, something I am sure I will forget.  I may have had the wrong version of the Intel RST drivers or something.  I tried several sets.  

Good luck!

I appreciate your reply. Looks like in my case, the Redeploy feature locates a missing driver and installs it manually (Intel RSY VMD Controller 9A0B (TGL)),  OK.

Then I head to Fix Windows Boot Problems in which case it rewrites the BDE. I then restart from there when complete and immediately the machine boots into Recovery mode with the error code 0xc000000f saying "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired". I have the BIOS set to Boot to the MR Rescue Media as its first Boot Option. If I reboot the machine and remove the Rescue Media essentially booting to OS Boot Manager. When I attempt to boot to OS Boot Manager, I get Error 0xc0000001 "Your PC couldn't start properly". So it looks like that feature essentially bricked my Rescue Media (I can easily make another luckily) and did not fix my Windows Boot issue in the end. 

Any thoughts?

Again, appreciate the insight on this issue.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search