8.0.5946 - Safely Ejecting USB flash drive while in Rescue Media Builder causes flash drive to not...

Author
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Reflect version - 8.0.5946

Windows version - Windows 10 21H1 [Version 10.0.19043.1023]

Issue - Safely Ejecting USB flash drive while in Rescue Media Builder causes flash drive to not be recognized in that USB port until restart of PC.

Steps to reproduce:

1.) Insert a flash drive into a USB port for recognizing for Rescue Media Builder to detect.
2.) Open Reflect and then open the Rescue Media Builder.  Your flash drive should be recognized by RMB.
3.) Use the system tray Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon to safely eject the flash drive you just inserted.  It disappears from RMB.
4.) Unplug and reinsert that same USB drive into the same USB port it was in before.  Windows will fail to recognize it has been inserted in that USB port until the flash drive is remove and the PC is restarted.  You MUST first remove the flash drive before restarting or it won't be recognized by Windows until it's restarted without the flash drive in the port.  If you restart it with it still inserted, remove it, and reinsert it, it still won't be recognized.  You MUST restart the PC with the flash drive removed from the USB port.  You can insert the same flash drive into different USB ports and it will be recognized by both Windows and RMB without a restart.  Inserting different flash drives than the one you just ejected into that same port where the first one isn't recognized ARE recognized by Windows and RMB.

This is different behavior than I encountered with past v8 builds.  When I safely ejected the media and reinserted it, RMB would recognize it before.  I think.  Smile

Thanks!

EDIT: It appears this only happens on my PNY 256 GB USB 3.1 flash drive.  I repeated the same steps with a 256 GB Lexar S75 USB 3.0 and couldn't repeat the same results.  Only with this one PNY.  So, it appears to be a peculiarity with PNY, which I wouldn't put past them.  Most of my USB flash drives that died too soon or were utter junk, like their 512 GB Pro model, were PNY.

Edited 1 June 2021 6:26 PM by dbminter
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search