MicroSD boot?

Author
QT-Pro
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can rescue media be created on a 32 Gb microSD card or can it only be done on a USB drive, please?
My PC has a smart card reader slot which is why I am asking, that and the fact that I don't have any spare USB drives available at this precise moment. Wink

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I haven't tried it.  But even if Rescue Media Builder doesn't support building to SD cards directly, you could manually partition the device and copy the files onto it.  The question though will be whether your system supports booting from SD cards.  If it doesn't, then it's pointless to look at Rescue Media Builder or the manual build option.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
I've never tested trying to boot from an SD card before.  I never even thought about it being possible.  It's an interesting option if it's available, but it seems to be on a per hardware/BIOS/firmware basis?

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)
dbminter - 24 May 2021 4:26 PM
I've never tested trying to boot from an SD card before.  I never even thought about it being possible.  It's an interesting option if it's available, but it seems to be on a per hardware/BIOS/firmware basis?

I have also got a USB multi-card reader.

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Proficient Member
I have a USB card reader (link to view it). This should allow me to use Reflect's build USB option. I doubt that having the data on a card will make any difference. Worth a shot?

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
One of the things you could do if you were on v8 is, if allowed, to image the SD card before you attempt to test it for booting.  If it fails and there's data that was deleted during the format, you can restore, if allowed, the SD image to get the card like it was before you tested it.

dbminter
dbminter
QT-Pro - 24 May 2021 4:36 PM
dbminter - 24 May 2021 4:26 PM

I have also got a USB multi-card reader.

I've got one or 2 USB readers myself.  I have a few ancient SD cards from old cameras that I no longer use just lying around.  I might test this out myself as I've gotten curious now.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
It's worth a shot, but I can't speak to whether it will work.  The fact that a USB flash drive and a USB card reader both connect via USB doesn't necessarily mean they'll work the same way.

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Proficient Member
Ok, I tried it and it works.
I didn't go as far as restoring Windows but Win PE did launch when I started the PC.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
If you can get Rescue to load, that’s 90% of the work. Just make sure that you can see and use all of the disks, network locations, or other USB devices you’d need in an actual restore scenario.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search