VMware console flaky mouse

Author
NJK-Work
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
If I boot a VMware VM to the rescue media (Windows Boot Menu), the mouse it pretty much useless.  I just moves all over the screen.  I tried adding the VMware mouse drivers to the "C:\Boot\macrium\WinREDrivers\64Bit\Mouse\VMware" folder and it sees new drivers and asks me to rebuild the rescue media.  However, when I boot again, its the same results.

Does anyone know how to successfully add VMware mouse drivers to the rescue media?  Without a working mouse, the rescue media is pretty much useless in a VMware environment (6.7).
Thanks
NK
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What version is your WinRE environment running? Have you experimented to see if this occurs on other environments, like WinPE 10 1709, which is used when you select PE 10? Given that WinRE on your system may use a different kernel and that WinRE environments on PCs are customized per PC, this could be an issue with a specific kernel version and/or something caused by something specific to the WinRE environment on your system. WinPE 10 does not get modified before Reflect touches it, so it may be worth trying.
NJK-Work
NJK-Work
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)Proficient Member (258 reputation)
jphughan - 22 May 2021 12:31 PM
What version is your WinRE environment running? Have you experimented to see if this occurs on other environments, like WinPE 10 1709, which is used when you select PE 10? Given that WinRE on your system may use a different kernel and that WinRE environments on PCs are customized per PC, this could be an issue with a specific kernel version and/or something caused by something specific to the WinRE environment on your system. WinPE 10 does not get modified before Reflect touches it, so it may be worth trying.

Yeah, using Windows RE 10 1809 (from Windows Server 2019).  I will give WinPE a try instead to see if that works better.  Thanks for the suggestion.

NK
NJK-Work
NJK-Work
Proficient Member
Same issue.  I tried both just the default drivers and then adding the VMware mouse drivers - both failed.  When the PE environment loads, I can see in the splash screen it loading the drivers and can see mouse drivers being loaded.  But for whatever reason, those drivers have no affect on fixing the problem.  I think this used to work with the old Windows vSphere client - and it seems like now that we upgraded to vCenter 6.7 and we have to use the web client, it is now broken.  But I could be wrong.

NK
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ah ok, I somehow missed that you were using VMware ESX and therefore connecting through a web-based console.  I thought you were using VMware Workstation.  I think it was ESX 5.5 that marked the "fat" client as deprecated and said all new features would be implemented exclusively in the HTML5 client, but maybe a newer release removed the former entirely?  But if you're using the Web client, have you experimented with different browsers, specifically having tried both a Gecko-based browser (Firefox) and a Chromium-based browser (Google Chrome, the new Edge Chromium, etc.)?

Edited 23 May 2021 3:20 AM by jphughan
NJK-Work
NJK-Work
Proficient Member
jphughan - 23 May 2021 3:17 AM
Ah ok, I somehow missed that you were using VMware ESX and therefore connecting through a web-based console.  I thought you were using VMware Workstation.  I think it was ESX 5.5 that marked the "fat" client as deprecated and said all new features would be implemented exclusively in the HTML5 client, but maybe a newer release removed the former entirely?  But if you're using the Web client, have you experimented with different browsers, specifically having tried both a Gecko-based browser (Firefox) and a Chromium-based browser (Google Chrome, the new Edge Chromium, etc.)?

I am using Chrome.  I will do some experimentation with other browsers.  Thanks.

NK
NJK-Work
NJK-Work
Proficient Member
I did a little searching on the VMware forums and found that if you add a USB controller to the VM hardware (in my case I had the option of USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 and I tried 2.0), then it fixes the problem.  It creates a little black dot on the screen that the mouse pointer "tracks".  It does the trick - not perfect, but makes it usable.

Thanks for the suggestions.
NK
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search