viBoot Black Screen after Login using VirtualBox

Author
T4nkcommander
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

First off, thanks for adding VBox support, it is great!

However, I'm having some trouble with it. I've taken two different computer images (both Windows 7 SP1) and tried to get them up and running in Vbox. I can get to the login screen and enter my credentials, but after that I get stuck on a black screen with only my cursor.

I assume I should be able to redeploy onto a created virtual drive, but I assumed this behavior is not normal and wanted to see if others encountered it. Thanks!

Edit: Well of course right after I post, one of my test images decides to show the start bar. It seems like it is running really slow, despite having a sold amount of resources allotted to it. Probably has taken 15 minutes to get loaded up. I doubled the resources on my other test machine and it seems to be taking about the same amount of time.

Edited 19 May 2021 3:30 PM by T4nkcommander
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
Check the virtualization mode that VirtualBox is using.  Newer releases of VirtualBox support running through Hyper-V's virtualization layer so that people don't have to reboot to switch between using VirtualBox and Hyper-V, but in that mode VirtualBox is a whole lot slower.  I encountered that exact behavior while testing the viBoot 8 beta, but when I booted Windows with Hyper-V disabled (which is achieved by adding an alternate BCD boot entry if you don't want to completely uninstall Hyper-V), VirtualBox worked great since it was then able to use its own hypervisor layer.  The hypervisor mode of VirtualBox is indicated by an icon in the lower-right corner of the console window.

Edited 19 May 2021 3:48 PM by jphughan
T4nkcommander
T4nkcommander
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
jphughan - 19 May 2021 3:47 PM
Check the virtualization mode that VirtualBox is using.  Newer releases of VirtualBox support running through Hyper-V's virtualization layer so that people don't have to reboot to switch between using VirtualBox and Hyper-V, but in that mode VirtualBox is a whole lot slower.  I encountered that exact behavior while testing the viBoot 8 beta, but when I booted Windows with Hyper-V disabled (which is achieved by adding an alternate BCD boot entry if you don't want to completely uninstall Hyper-V), VirtualBox worked great since it was then able to use its own hypervisor layer.  The hypervisor mode of VirtualBox is indicated by an icon in the lower-right corner of the console window.

That's great to know, thanks! I actually just disabled Hyper-V via restart, but it was still running slow. Might just be something on my end, I'll play around with it some more.
T4nkcommander
T4nkcommander
Just wanted to share some learnings from trying to use Macrium to P2V my Windows 7 SP1 machine.

I was having tons of boot issues - 0x7B BSOD even after using macrium tools - which I think was related to improper setup on my VM. So, what I did was use ViBoot to make me a virtual machine that worked. Problem was, you were tied to using ViBoot and the Macrium image in order to run, which was unacceptable for me.

So, I created a VM and some virtual drives that I used Macrium to restore the image on to. They still wouldn't boot, so I went and then copied the configuration settings in VirtualBox (or hypervisor of your choice) from the ViBoot machine to my new machine. Once those matched, I then ran Macrium tools (boot problems and redeploy) and everything started working.

Hopefully others won't have this issue, but if so, you can use ViBoot to show you how to properly configure your VM.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
Glad you arrived at a solution that works for you! Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search