Automatic Verify on old (backup) files

Author
Ganguzin
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
(sorry for my English)
Is there any way to perform an automatic "verify" when computer is idle and Macrium is not "backing-up" anything?
Some kind of control on old Incremental/full images not to discover "oops, my 125# incremental file is based on a corrupted full backup".

Thanks in advance.

G

Edited 12 November 2015 8:27 PM by Ganguzin
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
Your English is just fine (better than mine and I live in the US w00t )

If the automatic verify immediately following the creation of the image isn't good enough, than any future failure of the same data would put me in a position that I couldn't trust any of the data on that specific storage device.

What I do is REPLICATE those images on a separate storage device (following the verification, of course).  If in the future I experience a bad restoration due to a now faulty image, I go to the secondary for the fix.

I don't think it really means very much to keep rechecking the verification of past images on any sort of regular basis... your better off running periodic diagnostics on the storage device itself.  That should give you a good early warning for problems with that devices data.

Willem Overbeeke
Willem Overbeeke
Talented Member
Talented Member (195 reputation)Talented Member (195 reputation)Talented Member (195 reputation)Talented Member (195 reputation)Talented Member (195 reputation)Talented Member (195 reputation)Talented Member (195 reputation)Talented Member (195 reputation)Talented Member (195 reputation)Talented Member (195 reputation)
In my understanding the purpose of verification is to compare the "actual" hash totals on the backup medium with the "expected" values stored separately during the backup.So that is essentially a "one time" operation.
After that you can take the usual steps to ensure that the file system on the media is still OK, and that no bad sectors have developed. There are many tools to do so (e.g. ChkDsk). I use SeaTools for Windows, as you can specify different levels of thoroughness there.
And of course Replication as suggested by Froggie is an extra step "to make assurance doubly sure".
Moreover, if you retain several generations of your backup images, that also offers you a fall-back, in the eventuality that the latest one proves to be corrupt.

Willem
“Don't go around regretting things that don’t happen”

Ganguzin
Ganguzin
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)

Thanks for your answers.
G.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search